• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Double-Implement wielding for Warlock

NightMoor

First Post
Hi all,

Just want to confirm, since I see no prohibition in the rules against this, that the Warlock can wield a rod/wand/pact blade in one hand and another rod/wand/pact blade in the other. Is this possible?

Secondly, if this is possible, then if I have a Rod of Corruption in one hand (lets you put your curse on all enemies within 5 squares instead of your normal pact boon) and a Rod of Reaving in the other (enemies take the rod's enhancement bonus as automatic damage when you curse them), it appears the following combo is possible:

- Curse an enemy with 1 hp left
- Enemy dies (Rod of reaving effect)
- Pact boon goes off
- Instead of taking your boon, you curse all enemies within 5 squares of target (Rod of Corruption)

Is this how it works?

Fragarach

First Post
In a word, yes.

To expand on that, as I understand it, it works that way because those are properties, which are always on and don't require an action on the warlock's part. However, when the warlock goes to use one of his powers, he'd only be able to get the benefit of one rod or the other, since he has to cast it through the implement, and you can't cast it through both at the same time. He could choose which one he was casting through on a cast-by-cast basis, though, I suppose.

Last edited:

ulrikbb

First Post
I think it's pretty safe to assume that it is not intended to be possible to dual wield implements. I'm sure that eventually, it will be covered by errata saying it is not.

Starglim

Explorer
A warlock can, of course, carry whatever he likes in his hands, weight permitting.

You can only have one item in a particular item slot and any other item you put in the same slot doesn't function.

NightMoor

First Post
A warlock can, of course, carry whatever he likes in his hands, weight permitting.

You can only have one item in a particular item slot and any other item you put in the same slot doesn't function.

However no slot is specified for wands/rods/orbs etc.

Clearly they aren't listed under "Hands" items since if Wizards intended that they would have specified it in any of the myriad places where various implements are mentioned (unless I've missed it! - if so please steer me to a page #!) and it wouldn't make sense to forbid a Wizard or Warlock from wearing magical gloves when holding his implement.

So the only clue we have is carrying two weapons, which is clearly allowed in the rules. You can only attack with one weapon at a time - likely the same with implements - but plenty of Rods have properties which are "always on".

I need to know for sure, no speculation please, by next Thursday as we're playing a one-off 4th level session.

Edit: Let's not forget the Wand Mage from DDM who carries two wands, one acid and the other fire, to alternate their effects :).

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I'd have no problem with this. Of course, it's better used on a minion than waiting until a normal foe has only one hit point left before you curse him.

The one thing to remember is that transferring your curse isn't the same as placing your curse, so you get to do the pop-and-burst Curse once.

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads