• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doublethink- I might make it a feat, class goodie or special ability

I need to put this into a class, but it looks like it'd work:

----------------------------------------------------

Doublethink (Ex if an ability or a goodie):

You can rationalize conflicting beliefs, viewpoints and actions [even opposite ones] without missing a beat. This allows you:

1) A +5 UMD check to emulate an alignment, if trained in UMD

2) The ability to -use magic device- untrained, only for the purpose of emulating an alignment (no penalty, no bonus)

3) The ability do something else expressly contrary to your alignment, without penalties of any kind, if you succeed at an Intelligence check or a Bluff check (Opposed by Sense Motive against people, 15 otherwise). You always use the higher modifier in any case.

4) +2 to Bluff checks and Will saves against mind affecting spells and abilities.

I may turn Doublethink into a special ability for use by "social" rogues. It certainly applies to their deceptive nature (especially for rogues with uncanny alignments).

----------------------------------------------------
If it should be a feat, then [Cha 15+, Int 15+, Bluff 5 ranks, Deceitful, Persuasive] would be a good prerequisite.

This would be useful against blasphemy and the holy smite family. Also, evil characters could use it to screw up the key abilities of paladins.

Paladins, however, would have a hard time doublethinking their way out of the class code of honor, because they're essentially challenging their respective deity on the opposed check.

Should this also affect will saves?

Last edited:

Remove ads