• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doubt about wands and metamagic

Binho

First Post
I was wondering, can you put a meta spell in a wand or potion?
*If you do, how much it would cost?
Let's say, how much would cost a wand of invisible magic missile?
*Can you use sanctum spell to put cone of cold in an wand? How much it would cost?
*Do you need to use a standard action to cast a swift action spell? How would quicken spell interact with this?

Thanks in advance folks :p

Wyvernhand

First Post
The DMG does state that you can put MM into wands. You could make a Wand of Empowered Magic Missile, for example, which would be a 3th level spell wand with a minimum CL of 5. A Widened Grease would be a 4th level spell, CL 7, and the DC would be 10 + 1 (spell level) + 2 (14 caster stat for a 4th level spell) = 13, which is 2 points higher than a 1st level CL 1 non-MM Grease (DC 11). It also costs 28 times as much, which is oppressive.

CL is always (unless you craft it otherwise), minimum for the spell LEVEL for the class that is crafting it, after adjustments for MM.

You could make a Wand of Invisible Fireball, which would be REALLY easy since Invisible Spell is a +0 MM. A Sanctum Fireball, however, would still be a 3rd level spell when made (min CL 5). If it was used inside of the sanctum, it would be effectively a 4th level spell (still CL 5). If it were cast outside of the sanctum, it would be effectively a 2nd level spell (CL 5).

Sanctum Spell is the weird one. The thing to remember is that when the spell goes INTO the item, it is just like it would be in the spell slot of the crafter. When the spell comes OUT of the wand, THEN it is affected by the MM. As far as WHO'S sanctum it would be keyed off of, the creator or the wielder, that isn't stated (I'd wager its the creator's sanctum).

The Rules Compendium errata'd the activation time on Spell Trigger items (ie wands). It is now the casting time of the spell. If the spell is a swift action, the wand is a swift action. If the spell takes 10 minutes to cast, so too do you have to wave the wand for 10 minutes. Thus, if you made a Wand of Quickened Detect Magic, it would have a market value of 21,000g, and be useable as a swift action. Hardly worth it, but a Wand of Gravestrike, especially secured in a Wand Chamber (Dungeonscape) is clutch for any Sneak Attacker in an undead dominated world.

Binho

First Post
Sanctum Spell is the weird one. The thing to remember is that when the spell goes INTO the item, it is just like it would be in the spell slot of the crafter. When the spell comes OUT of the wand, THEN it is affected by the MM. As far as WHO'S sanctum it would be keyed off of, the creator or the wielder, that isn't stated (I'd wager its the creator's sanctum).

Thanks for the answer.
But i still don't get it. Can I put a 5th level spell using sanctum spell in a wand or not? The metamagic feat states that the spell is treated as one level lower for all effects dependent on spell level when cast outside the sanctum. Does that includes the 4th level wand's limitation as an "effect"? In case of lack of official answer, your opinions are welcome.

Also, i just can't believe that a wand that contains a metamagic spell altered by a metamagic feat +0 would cost the same as an normal spell. The crafter had more work to learn the metamagic feat and the craft feat; it makes the spell better and still can not manage to sell his brand new wand more costly than the competition. Does any one created a house rule to make this more real? I know D&D's economy is totally broken, but maybe we can make it less absurd.

Sorry, I can't xp you yet,Wyvernhand. I need to spread xp to others first...

Last edited:

Wyvernhand

First Post
No, you can NOT make a Wand of a Sanctum Baleful Polymorph, for example, because Baleful Polymorph is a 5th level spell. Sanctum BP is cast from a 5th level slot. It doesn't get modified by Sanctum Spell until it is actually cast. Once cast, it is effectively 4th or 6th level spell, as directed by Sanctum Spell, but until it is cast, it is a 5th level spell, and thus doesn't fit under the 4 level maximum requirements on wands.

You could make a scepter, though. Lost Empires of Faerun, IIRC, they are wands that go up to 6th level.

Remove ads