• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Downer - I just don't get it

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Downer

I sat here tonight looking at this trying to remember what Downer is. Oh yeah, that stupid dark elf comic in dungeon and/or dragon mag that I tried reading the first 5-6 strips of before I realized what a confusing, random "what do I draw in the next panel" approach the dude was using.

I don't get it either. I skip right over it the second I see it. Pointless.

-DM Jeff

Henry

Autoexreginated
Downer's all right, but I can take or leave it. It doesn't seem to go much of anywhere, and the main character is somewhere between neutral and likeable.

My suggestions: Beg Aaron Williams on bended knee with as much cash as is feasible to keep doing small strips for Dungeon, because Nodwick fires on ALL cylinders for me. Then they need to experiement with other small comics, something with a little bite to it -

if they want an anti-hero, maybe the adventures of a band of 3E orcs who are on the OTHER side of the Dungeon-bashing equation? A band who have to suck up to their king, who contain a number of individuals from witch doctors to warriors, and who occasionally have to embarass a group of holier-than thou adventurers? Kind of like downer but with a more likeable cast.

LordVyreth

First Post
There are a lot of old storyline-based comics that I would kill to see again. Floyd actually entertained me more than Nodwick does, especially since they stopped actually running old modules and are busy running their one joke into the ground. And Yamara did the "D&D world, but twisted and funny" better than Donner has to date. I even miss the more serious strips like Libram X and the Twilight Empire.

Kalanyr

Explorer
The first couple of strips of Downer made sense to me, but after the beholder carked it, I felt like I missed three strips between that and the next one, and it just got worse from there.

vox

First Post
I look for it

Granted, it's a little hard to follow but I like Downer and look for it in every issue. I don't mind a few "what the hell?" moments if things clear up later (I trust that they will). Overall I think I have a pretty decent idea of what's going on. In particular, I like the interesting looks of the characters. The dark stalker, Needleman, is very cool. I'm running the first shackled-city adventure and I didn't have a good idea of what the dark stalker in it would be like; the monster concept seemed blah. Now I've got Needleman in my head and a creepy, eccentric, Bruce Campbellesque shadow guy w/a big needle (don't go there) and a scarf for my players.

Probably my favorite thing about the strip is the quirkiness of all the characters--even the throw away bad guys seem individual.

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Piratecat said:
I liked Downer at first, and I still kind of like the art, but the story is incomprehensible and pointless. I'm hoping it gets dropped. I'd love to see it replaced by Order of the Stick.

I like most strips of Mt Zogon; I think it started weakly and has gotten funnier.

Ditto...

Remove ads