• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Downer - I just don't get it

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Downer is OK, though it's been hard to keep track of lately--much like Wormy, it follows the perspective of the "monsters," rather than of the "heroes/adventurers." Other than that, the comparison stops there.

I also enjoy Mt. Zogon & Zogonia, but if Mt. Zogon goes, I'd really like to see the druid from Mt. Zogon join up with the adventurers in Zogonia--possibly filling the spellcaster/healer role in that bunch. I'm also a big fan of Nodwick--it's been a regular read for me. Really liked seeing the issue when the group's thief returned for a brief time. And I do miss What's New?--glad to see it return, sad to see it vanish.

Though I'd really liked some of the classic strips like Wormy, Yamara, and Snarfquest, I don't think I'd like to see them return--the originals hold a high status in my memory, and I fear that any future attempts to resurrect these comics may fall short. If anything, I'd enjoy seeing tributes to those old strips in the current ones (like Downer bumping into Wormy, or Nodwick & Co. bumping into or even competing against Snarf & Co.).

HiLiphNY

Explorer
Yeah, I don't meant to Troll all over anything or anyone here, however, the Downer "comic" is really weak. But seriously folks, if you really wanted to get the best comic in the industry you'd already be subscribing to Knights of the Dinner Table.

Man, KotDT is just soooo good. I am shameless in my love and support for that magazine, not just the strip. Do yourself a favour, and reallocate a few magazine-dollars from Paizo towards Kenzer.

Krellic

Explorer
Downer seems one of those strips that might take forever to get going and I don't think I've got that long to wait :confused:

Having said that the Dungeon/Dragon strip I really don't go for is Bolt and Quiver. Sorry but I don't find it amusing at all. :\

vox

First Post
Bolt & quiver

Krellic said:
Downer seems one of those strips that might take forever to get going and I don't think I've got that long to wait :confused:

Having said that the Dungeon/Dragon strip I really don't go for is Bolt and Quiver. Sorry but I don't find it amusing at all. :\

Yeah, B&Q remind me of "Family Circus" or "Hi and Lois". It's there, I get the joke, it's easy to follow and...it's just not funny. I keep hoping to be surprised but it's not there.

coyote6

Adventurer
I have no hat for Downer, but I wouldn't be upset if it vanished. I'd be happy if it got less murky (both art- and story-wise). Mt. Zogon, OTOH, is alright, and Zogonia is great. And Nodwick and Dork Tower are absolutely great.

(Speaking of KoDT, I love the comic strips, but most of the rest of the book I could live without. I'd rather read the most murky, confusing Downer than the interminable "Knights and Other People" series, or "Movies on the Battlemat".)

hellbender

First Post
Henry said:
if they want an anti-hero, maybe the adventures of a band of 3E orcs who are on the OTHER side of the Dungeon-bashing equation? A band who have to suck up to their king, who contain a number of individuals from witch doctors to warriors, and who occasionally have to embarass a group of holier-than thou adventurers? Kind of like downer but with a more likeable cast.

Is anyone else interested in a story like this? A band of orcs against numerous foes, including adventuring parties? With 2-3 page episodes?

hellbender

Remove ads