• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Download conversion of "D3 Vault of the Drow"

topdogg

First Post
I've been DMing this game for 3 years, and I have to disagree a little with you...

RangerWickett said:
Everyone's a soldier or thief. One player started with pirate but then wanted to change to soldier because the pirate class sucks. No one has even considered playing a borderer, nomad, or barbarian. We either want feats (soldier), skills (thief), or broken magic (scholar).

I've yet to see a borderer in my game, but bardiche-wielding Southern Islander barbarians certainly kick ass. Pirates obviously work best at sea, but they do get Uncanny Dodge (which thieves don't). The nomad is perhaps weaker than the soldier in straight combat, but has some cool abilities and definitely fills a cultural niche.

And if everyone wants to be a soldier or thief, so what? Those archetypes are most common in the stories, anyway. And by selecting different races, feats and skills, the characters can still be distinct from each other.

RangerWickett said:
Sorcerers are only really good for dying, or when they have tons of time to prep. Adventuring scholars can make an okay warrior in a pinch, but their magic really isn't useful. Except when you die and can blow up your enemy.

In the first paragraph, you said that people wanted to play scholars because of their "broken magic". In the next paragraph, you say that their magic isn't really useful?

In my experience, scholars really start to kick ass from level 7 and upwards. They have several save-or-die spells, many spells are resisted by Will saves (and the great majority of opponents are fighter-types with poor Will saves), and since magic is relatively uncommon they are often very useful.

To make the scholar a little more useful at the lowest levels, I wrote up a variant class called the "Savant", and also revised several spells and made up some new ones, suitable for low-level sorcerers. You can find the PDF here:

http://hyboria.xoth.net/classes/index.htm

RangerWickett said:
Oh, and crushing grip? It's just a little broken to be able to deal 10 points of Con damage with a grapple check.

You have to consider this in a larger context. So what if you can deal 10 points of Con damage with a grapple check, if you can routinely deal 40-50 points of damage with a dagger (thief's sneak attack) or greatsword (soldier's power attack) and force a massive damage save, most likely killing the target with one blow? Combat is short and brutal, not a drawn-out attrition of hit points, and this makes the game move faster than regular D&D.

- thulsa

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
topdogg said:
I don't work for Mongoose, and I agree that their products have some quality issues (lack of proofreading, bad maps, etc.), but there have been improvements, too.

And on the other hand, even WotC doesn't exactly score very high in the quality department these days, either... Take, for example, Monster Manual V, which has a 55% error rate in stat blocks

- thulsa

First let me say when I made my statement I was not comparing MGP against anyone and just stating the quality lacks to the point of not worth purchasing (I also did not purchase MMV either).

MGP will not win me back as a customer from me going out and buying new products and see how good or bad they are, they would need to find another way to show me they have improved. I do believe each to their own though, if it works for you and you found a game that brings you hours of enjoyment.. Great!

Keoki

First Post
Red Moon Games said:
I've been thinking of running a conan game for some time and recently picked up the second edition, so I'd be interested to find out if those who are critical of the system are talking about the 1st or 2nd edition?

I can only speak for myself, but I was referring to the Atlantean Edition.

rgard

Adventurer
Keoki said:
I can only speak for myself, but I was referring to the Atlantean Edition.

The Atlantean Edition is the reprint of the 1st Edition. I never read the very first edition, but I understand there were a boatload of typos. These were supposedly fixed in the Atlantean edition.

I don't have any experience with the Conan RPG 2ed.

Thanks,
Rich

Keith Robinson

Explorer
topdogg said:
I have a detailed list of changes between the Atlantean Edition (which is 1.5E, sort of) and Second Edition here:

http://hyboria.xoth.net/rules/changes_in_conan_second_edition.htm

- thulsa

Thanks, I'll check it out. The reason I asked, though, was simply because I needed to know what edition the criticism was being aimed at in order to make a more informed decision. Still, I'll take a browse through your (?) website and see what gives. It will be a while before I'd run it, but I've always fancied giving it a go. Not sure about the other players in my group though :confused:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads