• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DR 10/salt

Beholder Bob

First Post
the Jester said:
Alchemically 'salted' weapons would have crystals of it alchemically added to the blade's matrix...DR for creatures from the planes of madness/insanity/Far Realms/whatever.
Cool!! I don't worry so much about the golf bag of weapons, If the players persue this route, then their funds will be spent getting one of the dozens of possible DR materials. Personally, I would rather the idea of a 15th level fighter with several special weapons mounted on his wall, him trying to determine which to bring with him on his latest quest. Salt (cool), mithral, silver, cold iron, magic, wood from the tree the undead fellow was hung from, any weapon with a fragment of the dwarf king's scepter (those poor undead duarger), etc. It adds flavor. Some DR should be unique for a creature, perhaps instead of having damage reduction, it can only be killed by.... (sort of like that old blessed x-bow thing for mr katz). The alchemically treated salt weapon has a neat flavor. Perhaps even make it so that some weapons built with it always have the feature, but post made weapons can be treated to an alchemical bath to attain this feature for a week or two? At thousands of gold for the temporary treatment, it is a measure taken only out of dire need. Anyway, I like your idea and plan on stealing it. Don't worry, I let the players who to blame when the time comes.

geezerjoe

First Post
A weapon could also be carved out of a block of salt and then hardend somehow. It may still be essentially useless in 99% of the non-mealtime cases, but for a specific foe with a specific weakness I think the idea is awsome!! <- note 2 exclamation points

Thumbs up!

Joe2Old

Psion

Adventurer
Back in 1e, our DM always made Mithril "good" and so-called "Black Iron" evil. I sort of had that as something I wanted to throw into my campaign world, but never thought about the association since you brought it up.

MarauderX

Explorer
What I found was key to the players caring about the materials was asking every once in a while which weapon they were using. Not that it mattered many times, but it made them think it mattered much more than it ever actually did. Not knowing it was only +1 or whatever made them think the weapon was much more 'bad @$$'.

AeroDm

First Post
I think it would be interesting if they just needed to be contacted by salt first. So if they were covered in salt, you could swing away. I just get a cool mental image of a fighter tossing a fist full of salt in the air and then swinging a great sword through the cloud as fast as he can. Good times.

the Jester

Legend
AeroDm said:
I think it would be interesting if they just needed to be contacted by salt first. So if they were covered in salt, you could swing away. I just get a cool mental image of a fighter tossing a fist full of salt in the air and then swinging a great sword through the cloud as fast as he can. Good times.

I like this image- may use the idea when I get into some more crazy Far Realmsian stuff here in a while...

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
the Jester said:
Alchemically 'salted' weapons would have crystals of it alchemically added to the blade's matrix...
I'm thinking of using this type of DR for creatures from the planes of madness/insanity/Far Realms/whatever.

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I wish I'd thought of this! Especially since the Far Realm is completely disorderly/random/entropy incarnate, and salt is a perfect crystal!

Too bad my Cthulhu style campaign is over. Sigh...

Very cool idea. As long as you keep the amount of creatures with a specific item DR low, it's feasible.

Demiurge out.

Ace

Adventurer
the Jester said:
Alchemically 'salted' weapons would have crystals of it alchemically added to the blade's matrix...

I'm thinking of using this type of DR for creatures from the planes of madness/insanity/Far Realms/whatever.

Heh. Or you could just take you ordinary weapon wet it and roll in salt before the fight or use chunks of rocksalt as sling pellets

If you do the ssword thing call the sword Margarita -- :p

Thresher

First Post
It'd be a pretty nifty idea for a lot of the oozes, slimes and jellys, not to mention Conan style gigantic, acid spitting slugs and maybe we should see the return of such cute creatures like the 'Throat Leech' (hehe always a fav from long ago)

Anyway, my first thoughts for a set DR would be about 5/salt, its pretty damn obscure but should reward PC's with high levels in the relevant skill and those that ask around for what kills said monster.

Also, it would make life grand for some crazy with a shotgun full of rock-salt, gets rid of poacher and kills giant marauding leeches :)

Remove ads