• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DR DMG or MM

I have recently come across a descrepency in the rules for DR the DMG states that magic would bypass all other forms of DR assuming I am reading it correctly. The monster manual states that only the specific type of weapon bypasses the DR. The MM was printed after the DMG so does it take precedence? The DMG used to be the final word for all rules. I am curious as to how other DM's treat DR and which they feel is better and why if there is a why.

I apologize if this topic has already been visited in the forum I couldn't find any but I did not take the time to look very long.

nute

Explorer
Magic such as Magic Missile or Fireball bypasses DR. A +1 longsword would not unless the DR is something like 5/magic, because it's a magic weapon.

A +1 longsword would not bypass 5/adamantine or 5/good DR, if I understand the rules correctly.

nute said:
Magic such as Magic Missile or Fireball bypasses DR. A +1 longsword would not unless the DR is something like 5/magic, because it's a magic weapon.

A +1 longsword would not bypass 5/adamantine or 5/good DR, if I understand the rules correctly.
My understanding is that DR only applies to weapons.

A torch would still do its normal fire damage to something with DR 100/-

I'm a bit ambivalent about falling damage. I wonder sometimes whether a creature with DR 5/magic should take full damage from hitting the ground hard.

nute

Explorer
I'd say it would, because DR prevents damage from most weapons and natural attacks. A fall would count as bludgeoning damage (generic untyped damage from a flat surface) unless the monster falls on a blade or spike, in which case it's specifically slashing/piercing damage.

It makes sense (to me) that if you have a necklace of iron body on, you can survive a fall easier than if you're just a normal meatsack.

That being said, a monster with DR 10/good who falls from a great height onto consecrated ground should take full damage. Or a werewolf plummeting the shaft of a silver mine.

Delta

First Post
amethal said:
I'm a bit ambivalent about falling damage. I wonder sometimes whether a creature with DR 5/magic should take full damage from hitting the ground hard.

I had a message from Skip Williams back when he was the Sage (1/14/03) saying yes, DR was designed to help against falling and the like. (Although it made more sense in 3.0 with higher DR numbers.)

Remove ads