OSR Dr. J. Eric Holmes dungeon being printed by Pacesetter Games.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I’ve read Maze of Peril. Decent for what it was. One funny thing I noticed was how when a lot of OSR fans are sharing memes blasting newer players about how they want to play non-standard races, Holmes had a centaur PC. So yeah, exotic PCs existed since day one.
Yeah, over on the Shadowdark Facebook group, I'm seeing people blasting other fans for wanting to homebrew ancestries and classes. Uh, that's been D&D since 1975.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I’ve read Maze of Peril. Decent for what it was. One funny thing I noticed was how when a lot of OSR fans are sharing memes blasting newer players about how they want to play non-standard races, Holmes had a centaur PC. So yeah, exotic PCs existed since day one.
I didn't know that Dr. Holmes wrote a novel: an interesting artifact of game history, at least, I'm sure.

rgard

Adventurer
Jeff Leason. But he was a human before dying and being reincarnated into a lizard man. Which is another point often forgotten by the old school crowd on this topic. It was not unusual for a PC to come back as something completly different since death as pretty common, and if you didn't have a cleric around.
I remember one of my PCs being reincarnated into an orc, and another into an ogre. Both of whom I kept playing. So sure, the AD&D rules were very much human-centric in their design, but to claim that the WoTC crowd suddenly wants to bring in all the unusual races to play simply isn't true (ignoring how in 2e, there was a complete handbook on playing monstrous demi-humans). It was there from the start.
In our party, it was always a race to see which caster (MU, Druid or Cleric) would bring the fallen fighter or thief back to life. The druid's Reincarnate brought the PC back as a woodland critter maybe a human or elf if you were lucky. The MU Reincarnation was the best I think as it had all sorts of fun results. My MU reincarnated a dead Gnome Illusionist-Thief as a Gnoll. Great fun.

zenopus

Doomed Wizard
This thread has taken an unexpected and grisly turn...

To move back on topic:

I'm not directly involved in this project, but I'm excited that J. Eric Holmes' dungeon maps are finally getting published!

While we wait for the release next week, you can see a few snippets of his original maps in posts in my Maze of Peril book club series (sadly unfinished):

Maze of Peril Ch 1, Scene 6: "A Map of the Dungeons Explored So Far"

Maze of Peril Ch 1, Scene 7: "The Grisly Business of Swallowing the Corpses"

As you can see from those posts, the events in the book track fairly closely with his original dungeon map.

Remove ads