Dr Midnight's Keep on the Shadowfell - Unbelievably updated on 7/30

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Prologue
On the King’s Road
_______________​

Berak was a small, fat, and racially ambiguous creature. He seemed either halfling or dwarf, but was most likely both. No one was rude enough to ask.

BERAK’S FINE TRADE GOODS was painted on the side of the loaded wagon. Two aged mules led the cart. Berak held the reins loosely and chewed a sun-hardened strip of rawhide as he guided his cart, clonking and banging, up the rutted road.

“Fine adventure we’re having, eh?” he laughed. He spat between his teeth. “Think we’ll spot any skeletons that we can fight with magical swords?” Berak waited for his employees to answer, but they’d stopped rising to his jabs the day before. He cackled again.

He had hired, a week back, a small company of unseasoned adventurers. They had been trying unsuccessfully to break into the field of dungeoneering, which Berak considered to be a pointless and overly romanticized occupation that reeked of the kind of muddleheaded thought that got people killed. The group had run out of money and had had to accept the trader’s offer of three gold pieces a week to accompany his carriage as foot guards.

“It ain’t like the songs they sing, is it?” he asked after a time. “All dragons and flying horses and such. No. It’s commerce that drives the world we live in. Commerce! And now you’re finally coming around and contributing to the gain of society. Keep at it and someday you’ll be where I am.” He spat again. “You lot aren’t talkative today.”

The five adventurers had been walking since they’d left Farheyn that morning. They were hot, tired, and irritable. The ghost of their failures as an adventuring party hung over them, along with the gray promise of working for people like Berak for the rest of their lives. Adventuring in the big city had proved ponderous. It was every child’s dream but when you grew up, you saw too late that there were no ways to get started; the existing groups cemented their reputation, and thus got all the contracts. There was no way to get a job without experience, and no way to get experience without a job. This job wasn’t like in the stories.

“Cheer up,” Berak offered. “We’ve got one last stop at Winterhaven, then in the morning we turn back for civilization.” He was right about the first part.

The road kept stretching on for miles, and the company of BERAK’S FINE TRADE GOODS kept walking it.

Last edited:

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Ahh, my loyal subjects. Er... readers. Whatever.

More than usual, take this one with a grain of meh. I'm not plotting a campaign out of it, I'm just running KotS with the pre-gens and seeing how we like 4e. There's a chance it may catch on and grow into a campaign, but who knows.

That's assuming I even get to the end. You know how that all goes.

Metus

First Post
Dr Midnight said:
More than usual, take this one with a grain of meh.

Never!

Question: are any of the people playing in this one from the Temple of Elemental Evil game?

Also, do you plan on having a website for it?

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Captain Metus! Hi. No and no. This is going to be 3 people from the Ravenloft campaign and 2 new people. I've moved away from the Knights of Spellforge Keep, though I see them regularly. Xaltar and Ziona have two girls now, and Wee Jas got married last year. Jettok had a baby a few months back. Dartan remains... Dartan.

Hey, I haven't been paying attention to the hype and I only just today flipped through the core books. I have this to say. ELADRIN?? WHAT THE HELL IS AN ELADRIN???* I can take the pointless addition of tieflings. I can barely take the pointless omission of half-orcs. I can kinda tolerate rangers being described primarily in combat terms. I cannot accept both elves and some foppish variety of super-elf. Would someone please explain to me just what an Eladrin is supposed to be? ELADRIN??

*Imagine me with the fury of Duckie from Pretty in Pink yelling "Blaine, his name is Blaine?!?"

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Played tonight. Wow, 4e is fun, eh? I still have a problem with healing surges, but overall it was a great time... combat's interesting now, wheee! I friggin' love skill challenges.

Anyway. I'll probably be amending the prologue a bit, and I'll get to writing up session one tomorrow sometime I think. I don't think you guys are going to be disappointed with the unexpected crapstorm that came up. I'm very excited about the two new players... now that's my kind of roleplaying.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Huh. I'm not reading or even trying to follow that guy's logic... anyone can tell you I'm no game mechanic. Looking at the base numbers for his proposed skill challenge system DO look more "right" to me, though. Thanks Metus.

I'm going to put on some coffee and get to writing.

EDIT: I have to say, these are some of the weirdest PC names I've ever run a game with. Not bad, just... uncommon.

Last edited:

Remove ads