• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dr Who RPG

Rykion

Explorer
The mechanic is very simple. 2d8+skill+attribute+possible traits verse target number. I haven't fully read it but it does not seem to offer much advice on how to handle one player playing the Doctor and everyone else with sidekicks. It would be nice to see options for more then one time lord and also just other time lords. Sure it goes against canon but I think RPGs need to break from Canon at times if a group wants to.

Anyone else get this game? Anyone play it yet?
I've had it about a week, but haven't had enough free time to read it all. There are rules in character creation for creating Timelord, alien, and robot characters. The game background is definitely geared to running the Doctor plus companions. The Doctor would be the brains, but companion characters could shine in other fields.

Like Morrus I'm stuck with having little chance to play or run the game. No one else in my group is a big Doctor Who fan. I'm going to try to sell them on a campaign where they play as time agents. My group likes mercenary types and wouldn't like playing with, or as, the Doctor. I'll probably give them a timeship over vortex manipulators, and set up a new time agency a few centuries after Captain Jack's 51st century.

Last thing I need to do is point out a typo, the system is based on d6 not d8.
B-)

evildmguy

Explorer
I picked this up as well because it's Doctor Who and an RPG, so that's a win for me! I haven't had a chance to read it, though. Maybe over Christmas.

I read in a preview that someone made a robotic or alien dog like creature that was completely playable and fun to play. That sold me on it!

It is definitely pretty in the packaging!

edg

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I play in a Torchwood campaign using the Savage Worlds ruleset, but I've got this on pre-order, and if we like it, maybe I'll try to get him to switch, if for no other reason than to get the stats on standard Dr. Who baddies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Couldn't resist. I just purchased the PDF version. Downloading now!

Oh, and... one day till Doctor Who Day!

Herschel

Adventurer
Unfortunately here in the States we have to wait quite a while or use semi-nefarious methods of seeing teh new specials. Here's hoping in 2010 SciFi picks up the series with only a slight delay even though I'm still a bit leary of Matt Smith.

Dragonbait

Explorer
Unfortunately here in the States we have to wait quite a while or use semi-nefarious methods of seeing teh new specials. Here's hoping in 2010 SciFi picks up the series with only a slight delay even though I'm still a bit leary of Matt Smith.

Isn't BBCA airing it on the same day (Christmas Night?) or was my friend misinformed?

And to make it look like my post is remotely on topic: I'm waiting for the box set on my door step with baited breath.

sjmiller

Explorer
Isn't BBCA airing it on the same day (Christmas Night?) or was my friend misinformed?

And to make it look like my post is remotely on topic: I'm waiting for the box set on my door step with baited breath.
They will be showing part one on Boxing Day.

I was given the PDF as an early Christmas present. It looks like it is a lot of fun. Not sure if I want to run some games with the Doctor in a previous regeneration, or run a Torchwood game or something like the Sarah Jane Adventures (minus the kids).

Herschel

Adventurer
BBCA is an EXTRA $30/month package with our provider (and many others). I don't watch that much TV now and "Burn Notice", "Leverage" and "History Channel" are the main things keeping me with service expanded beyond locals.

When we were playing with it the summer before last the general idea was that if you get in to actual fighting combat, you're probably screwed. The system was designed from the get-go to try and avoid combat. It worked fairly well then. I'm curious to see if/what changes were made.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads