Drafts do not come with contracts attached?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It depends. If WotC is assuming their audience is reasonably familiar with contracts or understands what a draft is in this context, then it is not deceptive. It is only deceptive if you assume people don't know what you mean.
Their audience is a bunch of laymen(player pool) who for the most part really don't know the difference.

One thing I've learned over the years is that there are a lot of people who don't think they can negotiate or don't really know how, so they sign what they are given.
yup... I have known people who got upset when I say I almost never take the first offer for a job I ALWAYS ask for more money and did so even at 16.
WotC isn't absolved of putting out and wanting a horrible, horrible contract just because people don't negotiate it down to better terms. Especially when they are the 800 pound gorilla and really don't have to negotiate at all.
oh make no mistake they would have been happy with everyone saying "OKAY" but that doesn't mean it wasn't negotiable.
"Take this deal or pay more later. Up to you!"
now THAT sounds like every salesman pushing the extended warranty on everything

dave2008

Legend
“A lot of room to negotiate” means nothing if the essential issue is entirely off the table. And it was.
To continue on my previous post, before the release to CC, I was hoping we (the community) would negotiate 1.2 down to a document that could and should completely replace the OGL 1.0(a). That was indeed my hope. I thought we could do better now after 20+ years.

Incenjucar

Legend
A terrible draft only indicated it was terrible. When some is construct over two years by many people, it is easy for intent to be lost. Because where they ended up was terrible, doesn't mean the intended it to be, it just was.
WotC is not staffed by children. The degree of incompetence needed to accidentally create a contract draft would be insulting to attribute.

Multiple elements are, in and of themselves, terrible, even bereft of the context of other elements.

Someone at some point wanted the 750K stick. That is not a whoopsie doodle inclusion.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
yup... I have known people who got upset when I say I almost never take the first offer for a job I ALWAYS ask for more money and did so even at 16.

oh make no mistake they would have been happy with everyone saying "OKAY" but that doesn't mean it wasn't negotiable.

now THAT sounds like every salesman pushing the extended warranty on everything
Nah. Extended warranties are optional. WotC was setting it up so that you paid 25% or you took the "sweetheart deal" at a lower percentage with all the baggage that came with it. This was their livelihoods, not "do you want some extra protection in case an accident happens?". There's a pretty big difference.

I said why - you quoted it:

"I just thought it was an interesting perspective."
Person 1:That guy stole my wallet
Person 2: It isn't theft if he took it by mistake thinking it was his own
Person 3: Do the wallets look alike?
Person 2: It doesn't matter what I think, it's just an interesting perspective
‐------------------
If Person 2 does not believe the wallets look alike, what is Person 2 adding to the situation? How are they trying to help?

Edit: I ask, because, from the outside, it looks like Person 2 is presenting a cymical defense for the wallet thief, and I don't understand why.

dave2008

Legend
Person 1:That guy stole my wallet
Person 2: It isn't theft if he took it by mistake thinking it was his own
Person 3: Do the wallets look alike?
Person 2: It doesn't matter what I think, it's just an interesting perspective
‐------------------
If Person 2 does not believe the wallets look alike, what is Person 2 adding to the situation? How are they trying to help?
Just keeping the conversation going. ;)

Remove ads