• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(DRAGON) 3.5 DM screen = very nice

JoeGKushner

First Post
Baraendur said:

Hmm, I don't agree that the XP system is retarded (of course the success or failure of the entire system comes down to accurate CRs and ELs), but I do agree that it would have been a welcome addition to the screen. In 3.0 I had 2 sets of page numbers memorized - the XP system and the pages where the magical bonus stacking rules were located.

It's taken almost straight from Rolemaster and anytime you have a variable XP that reqruies the user to do some math, especially if you're using the variable XP rules for the Forgotten Realms that doesn't reward higher level players travelling with the lower level players that it punishes, I have to say that it is retarded.

If there was anything they could've taken from Rolemaster from Monte's days there, this wasn't it.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Yeah, I'd rather every orc be worth 15xp no matter what.

That was better.

:rolleyes:

Thaumaturge.

p.s. As soon as I read the thread title, I knew someone would have to find something about which to complain. *sigh*

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
Thaumaturge said:
Yeah, I'd rather every orc be worth 15xp no matter what.

That was better.

:rolleyes:

Thaumaturge.

p.s. As soon as I read the thread title, I knew someone would have to find something about which to complain. *sigh*

Ah, but every orc wasn't worth 15 xp no matter what. Heck, 1st edition used a base bonus plus a variant amount depending on the hit points of the creature. An of course if you specialized the orc, you know, before templates and other things made it a little easier, they had a very easy to use and understand method of assigning it a new static experience point value.

I like the screen but wish that since 3rd ed uses variable xp values, that those values were on it. Without them, the screen is going to collect dust as I make and print out some specialized sheets for my 3 panel citizen games one.

Sam

First Post
Aaron L said:
Very nice indeed. My only complaint is that the post office bent mine into some form of origami animal, but I like what's left of it so much I think I will be buying the magazine at the store to get another!

If you call up Paizo and explain what happened, perhaps they can send you a replacement issue.

I think the screen is great. It's a bit lighter weight than the 3e screen, but hey, it's free! And I like the tables that were included.

DrSpunj

Explorer
Aaron L said:
Very nice indeed. My only complaint is that the post office bent mine into some form of origami animal, but I like what's left of it so much I think I will be buying the magazine at the store to get another!

While I'm not planning on doing the same thing, I'm fairly upset at the condition my screen arrived in. I was really hoping Paizo would have printed something on the plastic to warn the Post Office employees not to bend the magazine. Something like "DO NOT BEND" in bright white ink on the poly or....something! <sigh> As it is, my trifold is now a septafold and resembles an accordian more than a screen! :(

Hey Paizo! Any chance you can do something like that the next time you include stuff on heavy cardstock like this? Please! :D

Anyway, the screen I expect to be really handy once I actually get my books and start using 3.5. I only have two nitpicks:
1) The organization is a bit screwy. From left to right it's *mostly* alphabetized, but enough isn't that you still have to scan the whole thing to find the section you want to reference. Frex: AC Modifiers are in the upper left, while Attack Modifiers are...center of the second panel. Go figure.
2) There is no grapple section! While I understand the screen was meant to help with the conversion between 3.0 and 3.5 and I'm not sure that Grapple really changed (so much as got clarified), I would've gotten a lot more use out of the grapple rules (and other combat options) than several of the sections chosen (how often does Listening for Invisible creatures come up in your game?).

The issue itself is good. I can easily do without the Barbarian and Ranger sections as they are simply "take 10 levels of each of these two classes in this order, and we've included feat suggestions" but the other class articles are all worth looking at for mining purposes (even if I only include a couple in the setting I'm working on now).

DrSpunj

billbo

First Post
Sirs,

Does anyone know when the mag should be hitting the gameshops? Have you guys ever noticed the lag from mailbox to store-shelf?

I've been waiting for this screen. I haven't bought or used a screen since the 1e days, but for some reason I got excited about this one. (The fact that it's virtually free might help.) Now that I know the art is the excellent WAR Pit Fiend triptych, I'm really anxious to grab it up.

Dr. Niles Crane

First Post
Thumbs up to the DM Screen

Mine showed up the other day and I was very pleasantly surprised by it: given it was a freebie to subscribers, I didn't expect much, but's its the same quality as the old v3.0 I purchased back in the day. I'd agree that the organization if a little screwy: it may take some getting use to in order to be effective.

Just my two cents.

Bloodstone Mage

First Post
billbo said:
Does anyone know when the mag should be hitting the gameshops?

I'd also like to know this. If anyone spots the new Dragon in stores, feel free to let us know! I can't wait for my free (almost free, anyways) DM Screen. Wayne Reynolds is one of my favorite artists for D&D.

Cheers!

Bleys

First Post
One of the LGS (not necessarily my FLGS ;)) said they expected to receive them this Friday. Don't know if that'll be true for every store, but it might at least give some idea to people :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads