• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon 305 back cover ad-worse then the F-word?

hellbender

First Post
Kershek said:

Do you have 3 and 4 year olds swearing freely?

Do you have 3 or 4 year olds playing D&D? If you have children, and the picture offends you, stash the Dragon with the National Geographics and paintings from Old World Masters. Or, grab a few markers and give the woman a few more clothes. I am not promoting open vulgarity, but there is a point where a hint of flesh is acceptable. If you look around, the 'toe' is in advertising everywhere, on billboards, vodka ads, beauty pageants and a lot of places you probably didn't notice at first.

hellbender

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
hellbender said:

Do you have 3 or 4 year olds playing D&D? If you have children, and the picture offends you, stash the Dragon with the National Geographics and paintings from Old World Masters. Or, grab a few markers and give the woman a few more clothes. I am not promoting open vulgarity, but there is a point where a hint of flesh is acceptable. If you look around, the 'toe' is in advertising everywhere, on billboards, vodka ads, beauty pageants and a lot of places you probably didn't notice at first.

hellbender

Actually, my tone wasn't provocative. It was an honest question. I didn't really have a problem with the picture.

Tewligan

First Post
Zappo said:
Yeah, it's true. Here in Italy, too. Among friends, noone even perceives swearwords as such, and it's fairly normal to have full (though usually not frontal) nudity in ads about pretty much anything.
"Buy life insurance! Here's a picture of an ass!"

Cion

First Post
My Store hasn´t received the Dragon yet, but I´m quite sure that I won´t have a problem with Rackham´s Ad.
But I already own a full Dirz and a Lion-Army, maybe I´m biased...

hellbender

First Post
Kershek said:

Actually, my tone wasn't provocative. It was an honest question. I didn't really have a problem with the picture.

Sorry, sometimes I get too into these diatribes. Often, many people kneejerk over a subject of no real consequence. I apologize for my over the top reply.

h.

Zappo

Explorer
Kershek said:
Do you have 3 and 4 year olds swearing freely?
Tewligan said:
"Buy life insurance! Here's a picture of an ass!"
You won't get me to discuss the merits or flaws of our cultural differences. Too flammable. Just understand that there are limits to everything, and that in Europe the limits for swearing and nudity are a bit further out than in the USA.

Anyway, no, kids that young don't swear (avoid extremizing, it never works), and no, for some reason we don't have life insurance ads at all (don't ask me why, no idea).

Last edited:

Zappo

Explorer
To get back to the topic proper, I think that now that Johnny has explained the rationale behind Dragon's choices, things could calm down. They are not going to use swearwords outside fiction, and the graphic back cover was a bit of a mistake. Overall, it doesn't look like the magazine is going anywhere bad any time soon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads