• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Dragon 310] Survivalist

Jaws

First Post
On page 38 in Dragon #310, the Survivalist seems like it was cut short. Does the survivalist have any special abilities?

It would be great if the author, Clifford Horrowitz, would reply to this. I enjoyed this issue of Dragon.

Peace and smiles :)

j.

RedCliff

First Post
Other abilities

Howdy,

The survivalist originally did have other abilities, but the word count of the article wound up being on the high side, putting it mildly, and I wound up cutting a lot. I didn't remember axing everything for the survivalist, but that's a moot point now, right?

I'm not sure if I have the original text anymore, but the starting idea for the survivalist was the fantasy equivalent of the para-military man who swore up and down that Y2K would be the end of civilization as we knew it and holed up in his hermetically sealed bunker stocked with canned goods and guns, powered by a generator.

To wit, I'd originally written an ability for the survivalist allowing them to mark a home turf of sorts. The amount of area increased with every level of survivalist taken.

Within this area, the survivalist gained bonuses to his Survival checks, but more than that he had a chance to come across a hidden bunker he'd prepared, stocked with a week's worth of food and water (or located near a water source). These bunkers also provided shelter from the elements. The downside is that they had rather low capacity, especially at low levels. So an entire party might not fit inside, and they'd chew through the rations in a much shorter time.

The survivalist needed to spend some downtime combing through his territory and restocking these bunkers or he'd find them dry when next he used them.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

RedCliff

First Post
other stuff

Some of my submissions made the cut for Sword and Sorcery's CC II (stench toad and time killer) and R&R II (stone of sharpness and Mormo's Embrace), but I stopped doing open call work because it was a lot of work with no promised return.

So most of my published work appears in Dragon. I'm a regular writer for Silicon Sorcery. And yes, I'm aware of exactly how popular that makes me on the boards. I read all the feedback I can find.

The fighter article was the first feature that I wrote for Dragon that's seen print. I've written two others for them that now just need a proper issue to call home (I'm told it's coming), and I'm working on a few other articles, some Silicon, some not, at the moment as well.

I certainly hope there are bigger things in my future (books would be nice), but for the moment I can hardly complain. The good folks at Dragon have been nice enough to keep me very busy, and it's about as good exposure as you can ask for.

Olive

Explorer
Re: other stuff

RedCliff said:
So most of my published work appears in Dragon. I'm a regular writer for Silicon Sorcery. And yes, I'm aware of exactly how popular that makes me on the boards. I read all the feedback I can find.

Hey! take work where you can get it! I don't think the articles are badly done, I just think it's a bad over all concept, and we can't blame you for that can we?

Remove ads