• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon 337: Will the real Zuggtmoy please stand up?

diaglo

Adventurer
Shemeska said:
Presumably so.

Tanar'ri are just the vastly most prominant 'race' (for lack of a better term) within the Abyss, joined by a common general heirarchy of types, and a common origin. Once they reach beyond Balor status and become rulers of domains or entire layers of the Abyss they tend to assume a unique shape. I'm not aware of any of them that aren't actually risen up from the ranks of the Tanar'ri unless they were deities who carved out a layer of the plane of their own (Ie Lolth, the made Derro god whatshisname, Mershaulk, etc)

You missed out on the best of the Abyss by skipping the 2e material IMHO. They got some awesome treatment.

the rulers of the abyssal layers are equivalent to deities in my book and have all the powers that includes.

but i don't agree with a lot of what they have done with things over the years.

the newest artwork included.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
diaglo said:
the rulers of the abyssal layers are equivalent to deities in my book and have all the powers that includes.

but i don't agree with a lot of what they have done with things over the years.

the newest artwork included.
I give them the abilities of lesser gods on thier home planes per the original MotP.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shemeska said:
Alot of the really old, original illustrations of various archfiends didn't come off as scary or evil, just funny looking. Baphomet and Demogorgon being noted exceptions, they scared the hell out of me as a little kid (I also thought I'd go to hell at the time if I played the game, but that's another issue entirely).

zuggs is by far the least scariest-looking of the bunch. i mean, it was years between when i first heard of her and when i first saw her picture. i said to myself "she looks like THAT?"

at least the other demon lords can be made to look scary if drawn slightly differently. zuggtmoy looks too much like the stay-puft marshmallow man for her appearance alone to seem a credible threat.

diaglo

Adventurer
BOZ said:
zuggs is by far the least scariest-looking of the bunch. i mean, it was years between when i first heard of her and when i first saw her picture. i said to myself "she looks like THAT?"

at least the other demon lords can be made to look scary if drawn slightly differently. zuggtmoy looks too much like the stay-puft marshmallow man for her appearance alone to seem a credible threat.

the proof is in the pudding... :lol:

she is just lulling you into a false sense of security.

and then.. WHAM.

Remove ads