DRAGON #360 Art Gallery: Dryad

Imaro

Legend
D.Shaffer said:
Which doesnt rule out that they can have a more combat oriented form if one of their past toys decides they want to take an axe to them, does it?

They can still have the traditional guile, enchantment, and other fey tricks. It's just that now they have more built in muscle if they need it. It doesnt necessarily mean they use it at the drop of the hat. They dont even particularly have to LIKE using it, it's just an option.

Emphasis mine...

You realize this has nothing to do with how they look. In fact I think it's creepier and more fey-like to have the Dryad's original form and then spring the whole "she can rip your arms from your sockets with a flick of her wrists". Though in all honesty, when I think Fey...I think deceptive, and this form of Dryad screams anything but deceptive. It screams bruiser to me. YMMV of course.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Clavis said:
The dilution of the archetypal nature of the classes and races in the recent editions of D&D is one of the reasons why D&D's creator has essentially disowned the 3.x edition game.

Sacrilege though it may be, I prefer 3e/3.5e to 1e. It's a lot easier to create and play non-standard/monster races in the newer edition. To me, that is paramount to enjoying the game. Granted, I skipped from 1e to 3e; many of the monsters I use still have that 1e "feel" to them.

Clavis

First Post
Aeolius said:
Sacrilege though it may be, I prefer 3e/3.5e to 1e. It's a lot easier to create and play non-standard/monster races in the newer edition. To me, that is paramount to enjoying the game. Granted, I skipped from 1e to 3e; many of the monsters I use still have that 1e "feel" to them.

HERETIC!

I can respect skipping 2nd edition though.

Actually, I believe 1st edition had some real problems, and I think that d20 was a great idea. A great idea whose implementation has been lousy, but a great idea. If they had simply cleaned up and streamlined the rules, it would have been great. As it stands, I'm now playing C&C because it feels like what 3rd edition promised to be, but never was.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Clavis said:
I can respect skipping 2nd edition though.

4e has a 2e sorta feel to it, IMO.

To be fair, 2e had some great supplements; The Sea Devils, Of Ships & the Sea, and Sea of Fallen Stars comes to mind. Skip William's "The Sea Devils" remains one of the best works of monster ecology thus far.

Clavis

First Post
Aeolius said:
4e has a 2e sorta feel to it, IMO.

To be fair, 2e had some great supplements; The Sea Devils, Of Ships & the Sea, and Sea of Fallen Stars comes to mind. Skip William's "The Sea Devils" remains one of the best works of monster ecology thus far.

I think you've hit the nail on its head. Something about 4th edition feels like its going to be 2nd edition all over again. Complete with a large percentage of players who won't leave the previous edition, and the loss of other players in favor of some other, "cooler" game. For 2nd edition it was Vampire. I wonder what 4th edition's rival game is going to be...

Clavis said:
I think you've hit the nail on its head. Something about 4th edition feels like its going to be 2nd edition all over again. Complete with a large percentage of players who won't leave the previous edition, and the loss of other players in favor of some other, "cooler" game. For 2nd edition it was Vampire. I wonder what 4th edition's rival game is going to be...

C'mon, get real! The only reason players deserted 2nd edition for Vampire: The Masquerade was because by the time V:TM came out, 2nd edition D&D was old and clunky.

No matter what the grognards say, 10 years between editions is not ideal.

Reynard

Legend
Amphimir Míriel said:
C'mon, get real! The only reason players deserted 2nd edition for Vampire: The Masquerade was because by the time V:TM came out, 2nd edition D&D was old and clunky.

AD&D 2nd Edition: 1989
Vampire: the Masquerade: 1991

Clavis

First Post
Amphimir Míriel said:

I remember it had a lot to do with the fact you could actually get laid playing Vampire. ;)

And with freaky goth girls that liked doing REALLY NASTY THINGS!

Lord Fyre

First Post
Amphimir Míriel said:

I thought that it was because of the hot goth chicks?

Remove ads