• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon #361 and Dungeon #152 news

delericho said:
Exactly. Since WotC have so much riding on the Digital Initiative, and since the online magazines represent one of the key pillars in that strategy, they really needed to come out of the gates running. Furthermore, given the level of bad feeling that was generated by cancelling the print magazines, they would have done themselves a world of good by making sure the first electronic issues were the best they possibly could be.

Unfortunately, they dropped the ball.

Exactly.

Vigilance

Explorer
Garnfellow said:
I'm not sure, but I think that was only for the first year or so. Hasn't he been full time with Wizards since 2003 or 2004?

But it brings up an important point: the Paizo era wasn't exactly monolithic. I think they had just picked up Dragon when the magazine went "player's only" with disastrous results. Once Mona held the reigns there was a fairly steady trajectory of improvement.

If it helps, I think that when folks write glowingly about Paizo, I think they're really talking about (more specifically) Paizo under Mona/Jacobs.

My point is, they have some experienced editors, they're probably still working through Paizo's slush pile, but suddenly it's gone from the best ever to crap?

I don't buy it.

The magazines have been fine. The content has been good, some people really hate the UI, but it hasn't struck me in either extreme. When I want an article, I seem to be able to find it.

People are looking for a reason to rush to judgment and say "see, shouldn't have canceled the magazines".

And for the record, when *I* speak glowingly of Dragon magazine, its the Moore-Mohan era specifically. The magazines did not appear out of Zeus thigh fully formed when Paizo took the reigns and they will continue after.

I think the time to judge the magazines will be 6 months after 4e's release. The magazine will then have had time for their freelancers to see the new edition and start pitching articles, they'll also have had some time to make the DI their #1 priority, since right now, 4e obviously takes all the priority it needs.

That's when the content will be in place, and that's when I'll make my decision on whether the DI is worth sticking with.

Chuck

Glyfair

Explorer
Vigilance said:
I think the time to judge the magazines will be 6 months after 4e's release.

I agree. Look at all the missteps Paizo went through before they reached the "heights" of the last few years (Polyhedron/Dungeon anyone?).

Also, I will note that a lot of the detractors are people who weren't interested in the magazines before hand. Some are looking for a magic wand that will make the subject matter suddenly acceptable to them.

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
Vigilance said:
I think the time to judge the magazines will be 6 months after 4e's release. The magazine will then have had time for their freelancers to see the new edition and start pitching articles, they'll also have had some time to make the DI their #1 priority, since right now, 4e obviously takes all the priority it needs.

That's when the content will be in place, and that's when I'll make my decision on whether the DI is worth sticking with.

Chuck

You may be absolutely correct.

But I doubt that it'll still be free 6 months after 4e's release. :\

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
JoeGKushner said:
You may be absolutely correct.

But I doubt that it'll still be free 6 months after 4e's release. :\

Indeed. But that's not a problem.

Seriously, if Digital Dragon is worth buying then, word of mouth will sell it.

What you're getting at the moment is free content and the ability to constructively comment on the problems with the format.

Cheers!

Hussar

Legend
If I was part of the marketing department I would consider what they have done so far a complete disaster. The writing is poor, the editing is poor, the art (while not my style in some cases) is decent, but as a whole it simply isn't "up to snuff," or at least not up to the quality standard set by Paizo. As far as I am concerned they have completely blown it.

See, now I don't get the art comment at all. These are the same artists that did Paizo's magazines. These aren't new artists at all. WAR, Jason Engle, Ralph Horsely etc. Same art.

As far as writing goes, most of the major articles are written by the same guys that worked at Paizo - SK Reynolds, Logue, James Jacobs.

If you liked the articles and art in the print mag, why not in the digital one? Other than Shelly M, pretty much all the articles are exactly what you would have seen in a Paizo mag.

Granted, they've been a little sparse. I could do with some extra content myself. But, complaints of quality seem a little strange.

JoeGKushner

First Post
MerricB said:
Indeed. But that's not a problem.

Seriously, if Digital Dragon is worth buying then, word of mouth will sell it.

What you're getting at the moment is free content and the ability to constructively comment on the problems with the format.

Cheers!

Bah. All you hippies with your constructive comment positive nature! Bah I say! ;)

JoeGKushner

First Post
Hussar said:
And for those who want more Greyhawk goodies: Ask and Ye shall Receive

Cool beans. I loves me affiliations. And, hey, look, I didn't have to wait two or three months to receive it. Nice mix of flavour and crunch. How's that for you?

Thanks for the links. I don't like affiliations but like the background information. (Always found the affilations were just another bit to track for my own preferences.)

Some interesting art but I don't know if it's just I'm too used to the mag or what but the one column format isn't doing it for me.

Uzzy

First Post
If Dungeon and Dragon are not priorities for WoTC at the moment, they should have left it in the hands of those who would treat those magazines as priorities, rather then take on too much at once.

Have there been some good articles? Sure. Only one feature, however, has taken advantage of the fact it's online, which is the interview with the beholder. The rest is just text put up, and if I want to read a big block of text, I'd prefer it to be printed. Easier on the eyes that way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads