• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon 363 Blurb

Nytmare said:
can't WAIT till I can plug the internet directly into my head.
I really need that, too. "Hmm, if I was at home, I could "google" it. Or look at an wikipedia article. Or check what amazon takes for it". I want mental access to the web.

Mirtek

Hero
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Nytmare said:
can't WAIT till I can plug the internet directly into my head.
I really need that, too. "Hmm, if I was at home, I could "google" it. Or look at an wikipedia article. Or check what amazon takes for it". I want mental access to the web.
Hm, don't know about you, but I guess I wait for the wireless option instead of plugging something into my head. :p

Mirtek said:
Hm, don't know about you, but I guess I wait for the wireless option instead of plugging something into my head. :p
How do you recieve the wireles signal without adding something into your web. At least with the "plug", I know when I am connected! ;) *goes totally off-topic*

delericho

Legend
In my opinion, it would have been better (for the customers, but also for WotC) had they treated the publication of eDragon and eDungeon exactly like publication of the physical magazines, only published in pdf rather than physical form.

By that I mean that Dragon 360 should have been published exactly one month after 359, as a single dump of information, and should have contained the same volume and types of articles as previous Dragons had. Likewise, Dungeon 151 should have been published exactly one month after 151 as a single dump of information, and contained the same mix of adventures and articles as 150.

I also believe they would have been better served by adopting the old policy of "we publish on time unless someone is going to sue".

There are two reasons for this:

1) It forces a discipline on WotC's Dragon/Dungeon department (or whoever is filling that role) that they publish regularly and on time. This means that when 4e hits, and they're scrambling around to put out the magazines, and push the game fully, and try to bring people into the DDI, and all the other things that are going to be crazy come June, they know what they're doing with at least part of the equation.

2) You never get a second chance to make a first impression. My impression of eDragon (especially) at the moment is that it will publish when they can be bothered, it generally won't contain anything of use to my game, and it frankly isn't worth looking out for, never mind subscribing to and reading cover-to-cover each month (as I did previously).

And, yes, I believe they should have continued covering 3.5e, in exactly the same way that the magazines supported 2nd Edition right up until the publication of 3e. (To be fair - eDungeon is much better in this regard than eDragon.) They should be doing this not because it's particularly important to support the current edition, but rather because they need to prove they can put out a quality product each month, providing things that are directly relevant to the game, and that are worth the price of admission. Since no-one can really use support for 4e at the moment, that means supporting 3.5e.

"What price of admission?" you ask. While it is true that the e-magazines are currently free, the intention from WotC is that this will not always be so. When they start charging, people will base their buying decisions on the quality of the magazines while they were free. Saying, "it's much better now" will only take them so far - if they have a reputation for missed deadlines and underwhelming quality, then that's going to hurt them.

IMO, of course.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads