Dragon 368 - Items of Legend

The Little Raven

First Post
Hmm....that's strange. 'cause if you read the article on Intelligent items those were the roles that they were suggested to fit into. :confused:

Except intelligent items are supposed to be normal magic items + intelligence/minor bonuses, while artifacts are way more powerful, provide many more benefits (as well as a sliding scale of benefits), and can choose to leave the owner.

questing gm

First Post
Except intelligent items are supposed to be normal magic items + intelligence/minor bonuses, while artifacts are way more powerful, provide many more benefits (as well as a sliding scale of benefits), and can choose to leave the owner.

Here's a sidebar from the Intelligent items article regarding Intelligent Items and Artifacts. ;)

Intelligent Item or Artifact?
In many ways, artifacts are similar to intelligent items. They both possess a spark of sentience and have their own personalities. So how do you figure out when to use an artifact and when to use an intelligent item?
Artifacts can be incredibly important in a campaign, and they have strong desires and agendas. If a player character has an artifact, that artifact isn’t really under the PC’s control—it has a strong will of its own. If you need a centerpiece to wrap the events of your campaign around, use an artifact.
Intelligent items are less significant. They don’t have powers like artifacts do, so you don’t need to closely monitor the power level of an intelligent item. You can use an intelligent item to give subtle hints or to serve as a sort of mentor. An intelligent item is more like a character’s sidekick than a powerful force in its own right. If you just want to give a PC sword that talks, use an intelligent item.

Shroomy

Adventurer
I think there are three clear differences between an intelligent item and an artifact. First, there is the major power disparity. Second, while intelligent items and artifacts are effectively NPCs (and potential plot devices), an artifact has a lot more agency; I mean, it can leave at its own volition. The third difference is related to the second one; unlike intelligent items, an artifact can work against you mechanically if it is displeased (sure, a DM can play the intelligent item as an angry jerk if it is displeased with the PC, but it won't stop being a +1 sword, for example).

FunkBGR

Explorer
Gah! I can't get the article!

All I want though, is a Rod of Seven Parts. The concordance system would work perfectly for it in assembling the various parts as opposed to "how much it likes you" kind of thing.

I thought the leveling thing was there because according to DMG, all artifacts "move on" eventually, so that way people actually got a chance to use the cool powers when they only have the artifact for a level or two (according to the book).

Treebore

First Post
Then what's the point of having a concordance system at all if by design they skew it so that PCs pretty much automatically have happy items?

Because there are new DM's out there, and the concordance system shows them how to adjudicate such items in a positive way. Obviously DM's who are experienced and confident in their own abilities to adjudicate things does not need such a system, they have already learned honey is better tasting then vinegar.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Even with +1d10 per level, the Hand or Eye of Vecna WON'T be happy unless you're killin' puppies and strangling orphans. The average decently-aligned adventurer will be fighting a war with that item -- and when he loses it, it will be because it accomplished its goal and he's left a broken person...

Jhaelen

First Post
Out of curiosity, how many people have actually used any artifacts in their game so far?
Well, none really - in any edition of the game.

I did (and do) use Weapons of Legacy in my 3E campaign, though. That's a concept I really dig (and got to love from my Earthdawn games).

If or when I start playing 4E, I may use artifacts for the first time since I kinda like their implementation.

garyh

First Post
Even with +1d10 per level, the Hand or Eye of Vecna WON'T be happy unless you're killin' puppies and strangling orphans. The average decently-aligned adventurer will be fighting a war with that item -- and when he loses it, it will be because it accomplished its goal and he's left a broken person...

Then Gollum will have to bite off the Hand or Eye.

Remove ads