• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Age: Origins

The Merciful

First Post
The PC needs an upgrade anyways.....I damaged the mother board by shorting out some ports while working on a client contract.....and if I have to replace the MoBo, I need to pretty much replace the CPU as well.

If you need to upgrade your MoBo and CPU, the only item left to make it a gaming PC is the graphics card. Is a decent Graphics card more expensive than a console?

fba827

Adventurer
That's gonna be one crummy little rig for around $200-400. ;)

Agreed - but maybe it is a regional thing... cheaper parts available elsewhere in the world? But around here (near washignton dc, usa) I wouldn't be able to get a motherboard, cpu, graphics cards for that price range. the graphics card alone would easily eat half that range (100-200), ram would eat the other half, etc. or off the shelf prebuilt that budget wouldn't even come close. But, other parts of the world may very well have cheaper access to parts, or maybe i just don't know the right rocks to look under for deals, so your experience may vary.

Back on topic -- I was noticing that the PC version users can also use the toolset (build your own character, adventures, etc - it's for download from the bioware site), so if that stuff appeals to you, you may well love that feature.

i recently got it for console (my PC can't handle games), but I have yet to play it. I am waiting until after grad school semester ends in a few weeks or else i know i won't get any work done ;) -- it sits there, on the shelf, taunting me though... calling to me like a siren's call. i'm pretty excited to hopefully get to play it soon.

Gregor

First Post
Im currently running Dragon Age on the following rig:

Intel Core i5 750 Quad Core Processor 2.66GHZ
4GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Radeon HD 5850
24 inch monitor
Windows 7 OS (which I am surprised to actually like)

I am playing the game on maximum graphics and at the highest resolution, which is effectively 1080p (1900 x 1200). I can tell you that on PC, with top graphics and resolution, the game is gorgeous and extremely smooth. Sure there are a few graphical parts that could ideally be improved or pumped up (this isn't Crysis after all) but it seems to me that the developers went for a more accessible and scalable product. I have seen the game run on lower power machines (slower processors and cards one generation earlier than mine) and the graphics were still able to be bumped up with smooth performance.

I watched a friend play the game on his 360 and while still extremely enjoyable, the graphics definitely do not look as good as on the PC and the interface is not very intuitive (for me).

With respect to the game itself, I am totally buying into the whole "spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate" thing. I played the hell out of the BG series and its IWD friends and I have been waiting for this game since it was announced. I can honestly tell you that Dragon Age is, imho, one of the best roleplaying games I have experienced. There is a bit of a learning curve on their ruleset but I think that will just make for more efficient play throughs once I have it down solid. The races feel distinct and the world is dark and gritty.

Check it out.

Banshee16

First Post
If you need to upgrade your MoBo and CPU, the only item left to make it a gaming PC is the graphics card. Is a decent Graphics card more expensive than a console?

Well, my current PC uses the ATX form factor motherboard, and a case to match....if they've changed the motherboard format, then the case will no longer fit.

What I *know* is that I need to replace my motherboard, CPU, probably my RAM (mine is DDR1), my sound card (mine seems to be shorting out....it's an old Soundblaster Audigy, and I'm getting static now, that intermittently comes in and out when playing anything with sound....music, games, video files, etc.). And my video card. Also my power supply fan is on the fritz, and just about ready to kick the bucket.

At least from what I've seen, to get a decent video card, you're looking at about $120-200.....and that's for a slightly older one....you *could* pay up to $600 for a top of the line video card, but that's more than I need.

I don't need a monitor, keyword, mouse, speakers or printer, as over the last few months, I've added dual LCD monitors, a new router, network card, and a laser printer/scanner/copier (didn't pay for this....my old printer broke, and I found that I had bought a four year extended warranty on it at Future Shop, so I brouight the old one there, found that they don't service the manufacturer anymore, so they gave me a new Samsung unit for free).

So I pretty much need to upgrade the core machine, because most of the parts are getting old.

Banshee

My copy is in the mail. I'm hoping this will be my next addiction now that I've finished Fallout 3. (By finished, I mean "seen absolutely everything included in the game and all of the DLCs, up to and including the room filled with plungers, the recording of the Flatbush drunk insulting the aliens, and the Roach King.")

Runestar

First Post
These are my laptop stats.

4gig ram
2gig ati radeon hd 3450

Game runs just fine on 1024x768 res, low quality (but lags somewhat on high quality).

Steel_Wind

Legend
The game runs smoothly for me at 1920x1200, all eye candy on. I've played for about 20 hours now. Not one lockup or bug yet within the game (BioWare social server?...not so much). That's a record for me and BioWare.

I don't understand the squawking about graphics. Graphics are better than any other CRPG's. The Witcher's lighting engine appeared to be better at times - but that's because they used 3rd party middleware to bake the lighting into some textures. A clever lighting engine design for a PC game, but totally a non-starter for a console game. Which is one of the reasons a console port of The Witcher has yet to be released, I might add.

Playing a noble warrior. Definitely the best start to any BioWare game I've ever played on that Origin path. Given that the start of their games tends to rather weak, that's a big deal to me.

I know for marketing they would rather pitch this as a "spiritual successor" to BG2. I think a more accurate assessment is that it is KotoR 1, with one extra party member, and a top down iso camera on the PC -- looking very pretty and in very detailed and fully realized fantasy world. On a console, you don't get that additional top down persepective and KotoR1 is very much the style it evokes.

In any event, the game so far is excellent.

Falkus

Explorer
I finally got my copy last night. This is the game I have been waiting for ever since Baldur's Gate 2. I'm playing a City Elf Rogue, and I'm loving every moment of it.

Thanee

First Post
Should get my copy today or tomorrow. :D

My machine is only slightly below their recommended specs (Athlon X2 2.8 GHz and GF 8800 GTS 640 MB), so I should be fine (maybe not with everything set to highest quality, but most).

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads