• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Appreciation: Which are your favorite Dragon comic series?

Which are your favorite Dragon magazine comics?

• Dork Tower

Votes: 109 31.1%
  • Fineous Fingers

Votes: 42 12.0%
  • Flint and Steel

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Floyd

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Jasmine

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Knights of the Dinner Table

Votes: 159 45.3%
  • Nodwick

Votes: 151 43.0%
  • Order of the Stick

Votes: 247 70.4%
  • Snarfquest

Votes: 80 22.8%
  • Swordplay

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Twilight Empire

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Unspeakable Oaf

Votes: 16 4.6%
  • What's New with Phil & Dixie

Votes: 143 40.7%
  • Wormy

Votes: 108 30.8%
  • Yamara

Votes: 46 13.1%
  • Zogonia

Votes: 127 36.2%
  • None of them.

Votes: 6 1.7%

Wik

First Post
Yeah, I really love Zogonia.

OotS and KotDT are both pretty great, too. really, though, I like 'em all. The fact that there's no comics in PATHFINDER makes me sad.

Glyfair

Explorer
A few random comments:

It's interesting that the far & away winner is OotS, when it's not been in there for long. Obviously it's riding on non-Dragon strips.

Given that, I'm surprised that KoDT isn't doing stronger. Right now, IMO, the comic book is in a very strong story arc (with the coupon retailiations).

While I realize the old comics are going to be much less popular, because many haven't seen them (or haven't in years), I'm very disappointed at Fineous' showing. It's tied with Yamara in fact!

Set

First Post
Zogonia ("Your suffering has aroused my lust, human."), Yamara ("Euclidean dice would not avail you.") and Phil & Dixie ("Growph!") were the ones that made me laugh out loud consistently.

Wormy, I loved the art, but never had the slightest idea what was going on.

Order of the Stick, to me, seems to be written by someone who doesn't really like D&D. It seems less funny and more mean-spirited to me.

Snarfquest is probably the only one I actively disliked.

Ant

First Post
kenobi65 said:
I wonder if it's because the online OotS has a storyline, whereas the ones that run in Dragon are fundamentally non-canon one-offs, sort of like the very early strips in the series?
That's the very reason why I prefer the ones in Dragon to the ones online.

Zogonia leads the pack. Slightly quirky and very funny. I also really like the style of the artwork.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Having read Wormy I can see why it still has a following even today. David Trampier was arguably the best artist TSR ever had. And the comic was both humorous and subtle.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
I'm surprised Nodwick isn't doing much better than it is. That comic is so incredibly well done, and Aaron Williams' artwork has developed so much over the course of his creating that series (he even turned the developing characteristics of Nodwick's nose and Piffany's glasses into jokes).

Man, I'm so bummed that he ended Nodwick the series. :(

Hard8Staff

First Post
Jolly_Blackburn said:
Aaaah, Fineous. My favorite. J.D. Webster was a great inspriation to me.

I'd love to see the strips from Adventure Magazine compiled with the oiriginal Treasure and reprinted. We were hoping to do it with J.D. but the legals/rights are a bit blurred.

I voted for Fin as well. It looks like the newer stuff is getting more attention. I guess that makes sense as the demographics changed with 2e and then 3e taking center stage. I was a 1e guy, so Fin was it for me.

KoDT's hanging in there pretty well for being out for about a decade.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
First, the obligatory plug:

Paizo has already released ZOGONIA: SLICE OF DEATH and DOWNER: WANDERING MONSTER is at the printer. The artists get a nice slice of the action on these books, so if you'd like to read a bunch of their comics presented in a single book, please check out the books at paizo.com.

I'm intrigued by Twilight Empire. As a reader I think I missed a few of the early, critical stories but the genre always appealed to me. It reminded me a bit of the DC Comics character Warlord, which isn't a bad thing.

But good lord is it a product of its times. Some of the "fashion" and especially the hair in that strip mark it firmly in the 1990s.

--Erik

Glyfair

Explorer
Erik Mona said:
I'm intrigued by Twilight Empire. As a reader I think I missed a few of the early, critical stories but the genre always appealed to me. It reminded me a bit of the DC Comics character Warlord, which isn't a bad thing.

No, it's not a bad thing (as long as we are talking about the original and not the current mess). However, I didn't get that feel from it and never really got into it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads