• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dragon Born Save DCs?

Sorrowdusk

First Post
Does anyone know what they are, the passage doesnt seem clear to me.

Draconic Ancestry: You have draconic ancestry.

Choose one type of dragon from the Draconic Ancestry table. Your scales match the color of your dragon forebears, and your breath weapon and damage resistance are determined by the dragon type, as shown in the table.

Breath Weapon: You can use your action to exhale destructive energy.

Your draconic ancestry determines the size, shape, and damage type of the exhalation.

When you use your breath weapon,each creature in the area of the exhalation must make a saving throw, the type of which is determined by your draconic ancestry.

A creature takes 2d6 damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. The damage increases to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th level, and 5d6 at 16th level. After you use your breath weapon, you cannot use it again until you complete a short rest or a long rest.

The table doesnt give DCs in it, though it gives for example Blue Draconic ancestry, and says its a Dex save.

But where does the save come from?

Is it based on the Dragonborn's CON, or is it based on the same stat?

So those that require Dex saves are based on the dragonborn's dex (10+Dex mod) which makes some sense, in that it has to be dextrous to try to get the maximum fire on you. Or Green Draconic blood is a poison which requires a Con save, and how toxic it can be is determined by the dragonborn's Con.

Breath weapons dont seem to come up anywhere in the playtest packet, and there's no guessing from the bestiary, as I cant determine what stats ought to increase a the save dc of any listed creatures breath weapon, or reverse engineer how it was derived. I mean for Black Dragon (full blood) their save DC is 16 but we all know Dragons have bad Dex usually, and it does, it's 10. If the base save were 10, where does the +6 come from? Blue Dragon has +2 higher CR but its Breath weapon DC is 3 points LOWER.

It should be derived from its statistics (and/or proficiency bonus based on HD?) but it looks arbitrary and so provides no hints. :hmm:

Sage Genesis

First Post
This question has come up a few times before and I think that Mearls tweeted something along the lines of, "oh yeah we forgot, try DC 10 or something". I don't remember the exact words but it was about as precise as that. I'm not aware if we've received a more precise answer since then.

Sorrowdusk

First Post
This question has come up a few times before and I think that Mearls tweeted something along the lines of, "oh yeah we forgot, try DC 10 or something". I don't remember the exact words but it was about as precise as that. I'm not aware if we've received a more precise answer since then.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/playtest-packet-discussion/threads/3933596

Thanks for the response. Googled Mearls in relation and I was able to find this and the suggestions in that thread that I just couldnt find before.

Remove ads