• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Compendium Vol. 1: new base classes?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I almost played a Battle Dancer, but the DM disallowedeverything but the feats & weapons from DCv1: he wanted PHB only classes & races.

HoboGod

First Post
I tend to not allow this book on the basis that I never allow Dragon Magazine, too much is just unbalanced and poorly thought out.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You should probably reconsider in this case- IMHO, balance is not that big a concern.

Some of the chosen articles are from designers you'll know by name, some of the feats appear virtually unchanged in later WotC books, and some the stuff predates 3Ed, and so had to have their mechanics updates by WotC staff. FWIW, some stuff in there probably inspired certain aspects of games like Pathfinder.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
The Savant looks like a more traditional take on the Factotum - never been particularly enamoured with the "Inspiration Points mechanic" so the Savant definitely wins out there!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads