• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Disciple PrC and Wizard

DRAGON DISCIPLE
Requirements
To qualify to become a dragon disciple, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast arcane spells without preparation.

A wizard does not cast spells without preparation, normally.

If the wizard takes Spell Mastery and Signature Spell twice, he now has 2 spells that he can cast spontaneously. Would that qualify him for the Dragon Disciple Prestige Class?

If so, how would you treat the other Dragon Disciple power:

Bonus Spells: Dragon disciples gain bonus spells as they gain levels in this prestige class, as if from having a high ability score, as given on Table: The Dragon Disciple. A bonus spell can be added to any level of spells the disciple already has the ability to cast.

Simple as a bonus to spells of a certain level that can be cast? Why would someone NOT add his bonus spell to his highest casting level?

Thanks in advance

TS

SweeneyTodd

First Post
On #1, "Cast Spells" could be read as "has spellcasting ability". heck, if a Wizard buys Spell Mastery and Signature spell once, he can "cast spells" without preparation. Someone who only has one 0-level spell per day can still "cast spells". I don't think the plural there is suppose to be specific.

On #2, they do that with a number of prestige classes that allow some advancement of spellcasting ability without just being "+1 spell level". Usually you'd add them to your highest spell level, but you might not. (I've noticed a lot of other PrCs will limit this as "You can add this spell to any level you can already cast, although you cannot have more spells per day of a higher level than of a lower level." Looks like this one doesn't do that.

shilsen

Adventurer
Korin Tempest said:
Quick question: What is Signature spell, and where is it from?

It's a feat from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book. I don't have the book, so I can't recall the precise details.

Spatula

Explorer
There's no reason not to add the bonus slots to your highest caster level, since you can always use a higher level slot to cast a lower level spell.

I wonder if the design team even realized the side effects of their (IMO needless) change to the assassain...

Remove ads