• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Disciple... Worth it?

IMC there is a rogue 10/sorceror 2/DD6. He's reducing his total number of attacks due to the weaker BAB but increasing his base damage, AC, and hit points. His spells are pretty minimal but he can cast Shield all day long while using either his two short swords. Even buck naked he's dangerous due to his high stats, natural armor, and claws.

He's planning on mixing in Pyrokineticist in a few levels for additional weirdness (planning on his firebolt being a "breath" weapon). All in all, he's not a powerful character but he's not weak. Lots of flavor and it gives me a multitude of plot hooks given the role dragons have IMC.

Don't take one for the magic, take one for the flavor. Complete Arcane has a crapload of "dragon blood" feats that should be perfect for the warrior/caster dragon disciple.

Brekki

First Post
Like some have said ... fighter builds work best with DD.

I played a cleric 9/sor1/dd X for a time ... lots of righteous might's and divine powers.

Am playing a brb2/ftr4/sor1/battlerager 5/dd3 now :) ... enlarge person and true strike are just so nice with this trip-based build.

Yeoman

First Post
Once you gain the Dragon Apotheosis ability you can no longer use the enlarge person spell, am I right? Are there any spells besides true strike that will last you the entire way through the class?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
beaver1024 said:
I wonder if the monk can flurry with the DD's bite and claw attacks?

A bite or claw is neither an unarmed strike nor a special monk weapon, so no.

Whether he can use them as secondary attacks in the same round as a flurry with unarmed strikes or monk weapons is debated.

-Hyp.

Abraxas

Explorer
We got a fellow running a DD who went
Cleric 1/Marshal 2/Ranger 1/Sorcerer 1/Dragon Disciple 3
Uses a Falchion and FPAATT with the Divine Might Feat
He is planning on the Draconic Heritage and Draconic Breath feats
He is a fairly useful damage sponge and 2nd tier fighter

Abraxas

Explorer
FPAATT = Full Power Attack All The Time

He envisioned the character as a charismatic dabbler - raging barbarian didn't fit the image, but recent in game events have changed his out look, unfortunately he is now LN, so no barbarian even though it would fit better now. :D

Aftersox

First Post
Just wanted to say thanks. I have been given free range to draw up a new character since my last one was murdered by overt DM-error.

I loved the idea of a Dragon Disciple but I could never make one that was playable. But now I have a character that will probably need to be heavily scrutinized by my DM. The fun part is that because it was DM-error he's giving me 2x the average wealth of a level 12 to equip with. :p

I now think DD is definetly worth it.

Chimney Chalk
Medium-size Male Human
Sorcerer1 Barbarian4 Brass Dragon Disciple7
Hit Dice: (1d4)+(4d12)+(7d12)+60
Hit Points: 135
Initiative: +2
Speed: Walk 30'
AC: 25 (flatfooted 25, touch 12)
Attacks: *Bite +18; *Greatsword (Cold Iron/Icy Burst/+3 (Enhancement to Weapon or Ammunition)/Masterwork) +22/+17; ;
Damage: *Bite 1d6+9; *Greatsword (Cold Iron/Icy Burst/+3 (Enhancement to Weapon or Ammunition)/Masterwork) 2d6+16; ;
Vision: Blindsense (30'), Normal
Face / Reach: 5.0 ft. / 5
Special Qualities: Bonuses when enraged (STR +4, CON +4, Willpower +2, AC -2, HP 24), Line of Fire (4d8 ~ DC 22), Rage (Ex) 2 times/day (10 rounds), Summon Familiar, Trap Sense (Ex) +1, Uncanny Dodge (Dex bonus to AC)
Saves: Fortitude: +17, Reflex: +8, Will: +11
Abilities: STR 29 (+9), DEX 14 (+2), CON 20 (+5), INT 12 (+1), WIS 10 (+0), CHA 14 (+2)
Skills: Climb 12; Concentration 20; Diplomacy 10; Gather Information 6; Knowledge (Arcana) 16; Speak Language(Draconic) 1;
Feats: Armor Proficiency (Light), Armor Proficiency (Medium), Cleave, Dodge, Great Cleave, Improved Critical (Greatsword), Improved Grapple, Improved Unarmed Strike, Martial Weapon Proficiency, Mobility, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Shield Proficiency, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (Greatsword)
Challenge Rating: 12
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Possessions: Belt of Giant Strength +6; Full Plate (Mithral/Cold Resistance/Electricity Resistance/Fire Resistance/+2 (Enhancement to Armor)); Bite; Cloak of Resistance +3; Greatsword (Cold Iron/Icy Burst/+3 (Enhancement to Weapon or Ammunition)/Masterwork); Outfit (Noble's); Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds; Potion of Cure Serious Wounds; Ring of Sustenance; Wand of Enlarge Person;
Spells:
Spells per Day: (5/9/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/ DC:12+spell level)
Sorcerer - Known:
Level 0: Detect Magic, Light, Message, Read Magic
Level 1: Shield, True Strike

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads