• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Disciple... Worth it?

Sledge

First Post
Is there any way to get Dragon Disciple with a few levels of wizard instead? Got me a high str guy with some buffing magic... but more strength is merrier.

Diirk

First Post
Sure, you could do Sorceror 1, Wizard x, (insert other class to make up to 5 here), DD the rest... would be fairly pointless tho.

Level 0: Detect Magic, Light, Message, Read Magic
Level 1: Shield, True Strike

I'm not sure Shield is particularly useful. It will only last 1 minute due to your caster level, and you can only really utilise it before a fight if you don't want to cut into your damage dealing time. True Strike is better (no asf!) but again fairly limited use considering that alot of the time you'll be better off simply attacking twice (or more with full attacks) rather than casting for 1 round, then attacking.

Thats why I favour bard 4/barb 1/DD x... I go with the mithril chain shirt. Its alot less armour, granted, but it doesn't reduce your movement, no ACP, only 10% ASF, and you get 2nd level bard spells. And there's alot of useful bard spells. Cure Light/Moderate Wounds, Heroism (altho that overlaps with your bard song), Glitterdust, Feather Fall, etc.

You'd be losing a bit of combat oomph, but you pick up a bit of utility (esp with the extra skill points).

nak9788

First Post
Sledge said:
Is there any way to get Dragon Disciple with a few levels of wizard instead? Got me a high str guy with some buffing magic... but more strength is merrier.

Sure can. Remember the main requirement is the ability to cast arcane spells without preparation. Usually people think of a sorcerer, who have this ability naturally. For wizards however, they are required to take the Spell Mastery feat. (I think that's the right name). It allows a wizards (only a wizard) to prepare number of spells equal to their Int modifier without the need of a spellbook.

Incidently, our party has a Kobold Wizard7/Dragon Disciple2. He is quite nasty in fact. He is basically turning into a very buff wizard tank. He had a permanent enlarge spell cast on him so he is a Medium character now, with all the Strength bonuses that come with it.

Diirk

First Post
That doesn't work...

nak9788 said:
Remember the main requirement is the ability to cast arcane spells without preparation. Usually people think of a sorcerer, who have this ability naturally. For wizards however, they are required to take the Spell Mastery feat. (I think that's the right name). It allows a wizards (only a wizard) to prepare number of spells equal to their Int modifier without the need of a spellbook.

Do you feel silly yet?

IcyCool

First Post
nak9788 said:
Sure can. Remember the main requirement is the ability to cast arcane spells without preparation. Usually people think of a sorcerer, who have this ability naturally. For wizards however, they are required to take the Spell Mastery feat. (I think that's the right name). It allows a wizards (only a wizard) to prepare number of spells equal to their Int modifier without the need of a spellbook.

This doesn't meet that requirement. Preparing spells without a spellbook is still preparing spells. The ability to cast spells without preparation is what a Sorceror does. You need some way for your wizard to spontaneously cast. There was a feat in the 3.0 FRCS that let you do it with a single spell you knew. I believe it was called "Signature Spell".

Jack Simth

First Post
Sledge said:
This character already has wizard. Unfortunately the only feat that I can find to allow spontaneity is Epic.
Still have to prepare the spells to burn to use it, though, so you still can't "cast arcane spells without preparation" as the SRD version of DD requires. It needs a level of Bard, Sorceror, Assasin, or some such.

Hmm... a Dragon Disciple Assasin.... ouch. Fortunately, "hide" isn't a class skill for DD, so he would need Able Learner or something to make full use of it.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The Magical Training regional (1st level) feat from Player's Guide to Faerun can allow you to cast arcane spells (cantrips) without preparation. No good to an established character (since it's a 1st level feat), but it would allow a pure wizard access to Dragon Disciple.

-Hyp.

glass

(he, him)
Hypersmurf said:
The Magical Training regional (1st level) feat from Player's Guide to Faerun can allow you to cast arcane spells (cantrips) without preparation. No good to an established character (since it's a 1st level feat), but it would allow a pure wizard access to Dragon Disciple.

Or pure fighter?

glass.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads