• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Domain needs help (PEACH)

Nookie

Explorer
Ok im trying to make a dragon domain but all the powers i keep coming up with just seem like rehash from the sorcerer bloodline any ideas would be helpful. Some of the spells on the list are from the APG.

Dragon Domain

Granted Powers: You can (______)
(Sp): As a (______) action, you can . You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.
(Ex): At 6th 8th level, you gain
Domain Spells: 1st— Flare Burst*, 2nd—Scare, 3rd—Draconic Resiorvior, 4th—Dragons Breath, 5th—Spell Resistance, 6th—Form of Dragon I, 7th—Form Of Dragon II, 8th—Form OF Dragon III, 9th—Winds Of Vengeance.

Dingo333

First Post
I think the 8th level granted power should e a breath weapon, yes it is kinda rehash from sorcerer, but what can you do, that is the thing that makes a dragon a dragon

perhaps the 1st level could be, swift action, +1/2 cleric level as NA bonus for 1 round per cleric level? or resistance (energy type) 1 per cleric level

Granted I think should be something like, fly is class skill, not sure about rest though

The spells look good though

Shisumo

First Post
Granted Power: Choose a type of chromatic or metallic dragon. If you are good, you must choose a metallic dragon; if you are eveil, you must choose a chromatic type. A neutral cleric can choose either. You gain Fly and Intimidate as class skills, and a +4 bonus on Diplomacy checks made against dragons of the chosen type.

Dragon's Essence (Su): You can bestow a fraction of a dragon's power on a character with a touch. The touched character gains a +2 bonus to natural armor and resist 5 against one type of energy for one round. The energy type matches the energy type of your chosen dragon type's breath weapon. The natural armor bonus increases by +1 for every 5 cleric levels you possess. The energy resistance increases to 10 at 10th level. You can use this ability 3 + your Wisdom modifier times per day.

Dragon's Awe (Su): At 8th level, you gain the ability to heal, harm or command dragons with your channel energy ability. This works as the Command Undead and Elemental Channel feats, except that the ability affects dragons rather than undead or elemental outsiders. The dragon's subtype and alignment are irrelevant to this ability.

Nookie

Explorer
Granted Power: Choose a type of chromatic or metallic dragon. If you are good, you must choose a metallic dragon; if you are eveil, you must choose a chromatic type. A neutral cleric can choose either. You gain Fly and Intimidate as class skills, and a +4 bonus on Diplomacy checks made against dragons of the chosen type.

Dragon's Essence (Su): You can bestow a fraction of a dragon's power on a character with a touch. The touched character gains a +2 bonus to natural armor and resist 5 against one type of energy for one round. The energy type matches the energy type of your chosen dragon type's breath weapon. The natural armor bonus increases by +1 for every 5 cleric levels you possess. The energy resistance increases to 10 at 10th level. You can use this ability 3 + your Wisdom modifier times per day.

Dragon's Awe (Su): At 8th level, you gain the ability to heal, harm or command dragons with your channel energy ability. This works as the Command Undead and Elemental Channel feats, except that the ability affects dragons rather than undead or elemental outsiders. The dragon's subtype and alignment are irrelevant to this ability.

First power looks cool. bu dont you need a special feat to command an undead creature. it seems like you would need the same for a dragon.

I do agree that fly should be a class skill though.

Shisumo

First Post
First power looks cool. bu dont you need a special feat to command an undead creature. it seems like you would need the same for a dragon.
You do, but that's why I said the ability works "as the Command Undead... feat, except" it works on dragons. Basically, you get Command Undead as a bonus feat, kinda, but it's Command Dragons instead.

Shisumo

First Post
I was just worried about the balance.
I think the relatively low save DC for most clerics and the Hit Dice vs CR of most dragons will limit the power of the ability fairly strongly. I think that, since undead bloodline sorcerers get Command Undead for free at 1st level, that giving a similar ability to clerics at 8th level for free isn't likely to be overpowered. YMMV, of course.

That said, is it worth pointing out that Paizo has already made a Dragon subdomain for the Scalykind Domain? You can find the subdomain here, and the Scalykind domain here.

Wicht

Hero
If its a domain, it implies the veneration of dragons. Flavorwise, imo, you don't really want your powers to be dragon killing/commanding powers.

And channeled energy should already be able to heal or harm dragons, as they are living creatures.

For the 8th level, an elemental blast of the chosen energy type is good. It doesn't have to be a breath weapon, you can dress it up however you want. For 1st level, the Dragon Essence power is a decent way to go.

If you want to focus on different draconic powers, intimidate and diplomacy are good class skills with a dragonish feel.

Shisumo

First Post
If its a domain, it implies the veneration of dragons.
Important distinction: a domain is an aspect of control that your venerated diety maintains as part of his/her portfolio. A cleric of the god of the ocean has the ability to command the waters in their god's name. A cleric of a fire god can do the same with flame. Whether you want to use the power I suggested or not, commanding X because you are a god of X is pretty much always the way domains work.

As for the heal/harm thing, yes you can do that with your channeled energy anyway - except that you can normally only do one or the other (heal with positive, harm with negative). The point of the other ability was to allow you to do either one, as you choose (so a good cleric can heal metalllic dragon allies, like normal, but can harm chromatics as well, despite being good).

Finally, I should note that clerics already get Diplomacy as a class skill.

Remove ads