• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Dragon] Fiction in Dragon

Wombat

First Post
I have read most of the fiction and find it lacking; about a year into 3.0 I stopped reading the stuff altogether. None of the authors, "name" or amateur, have put in much that inspires or interests me.

Then again, I find my taste in writing runs counter to most of the stuff that seems popular in the D&D community. I get more inspiration out of a single Robertson Davies novel than I do out of all of Salvatore.

Artimoff

First Post
I was in the dump it category for years untill I actualy read one. It had this cool Justin Sweet piece of art and was about a barbarian named Fool Wolf. I fell in love with the character and the world. It led me to buy "The Waterborn" by Greg Keyes, a great novel set in the same world. Now I long for more Fool Wolf fiction.

I don't begrudge people who like the fiction in Dragon, but then again I feel like fantasy lit buffs already have plenty of magazines that do nothing but print fantasy short stories. However, there is only ONE magazine that prints official D&D material.

Tiefling

First Post
I think I'd read the fiction more often if they got authors like GRRM and Robin Hobb to write it. At the moment I usually skip it.

Tarrasque Wrangler said:
I don't begrudge people who like the fiction in Dragon, but then again I feel like fantasy lit buffs already have plenty of magazines that do nothing but print fantasy short stories. However, there is only ONE magazine that prints official D&D material.

Technically, is it still official?

Artimoff

First Post
Tiefling said:
I think I'd read the fiction more often if they got authors like GRRM and Robin Hobb to write it. At the moment I usually skip it.

Technically, is it still official?

I got mine in the mail today. It says that it's official right on the cover.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads