Dragon Fist on Amazon.com

Stormborn

Explorer
Henry said:
While I'm not looking for another Wire-fu action game currently (Feng Shui is GAWD!) , it will be interesting to see how well received the re-write is.

Thats the entire reason I am interested actually. My wife introduced me to Shadowfist, the CCG that Feng Shui is based on. When we finally got a look at Feng Shui she really didn't like the mechanics at all. And no, there is no point in trying to talk her into it so don't bother. However, with a d20 based game in a similar genre I can run a Shadowfist game for her!

Ranger REG

Explorer
Henry said:
Looks like he worked out something with WotC to either get the rights back, or the rights reverted to him after a certain amount of time.
He got it back. I think 2002 is when WotC stop providing the original version for download on their web site.

I just hope 2006 is truly the year. I've been waiting for it since 2003.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Stormborn said:
Thats the entire reason I am interested actually. My wife introduced me to Shadowfist, the CCG that Feng Shui is based on. When we finally got a look at Feng Shui she really didn't like the mechanics at all. And no, there is no point in trying to talk her into it so don't bother. However, with a d20 based game in a similar genre I can run a Shadowfist game for her!

Comparing the two, I think the old Dragonfist moved a little slower than Feng Shui did (at least, that's what my memory tells me). However, all the classic elements are there (inventive spells, martial styles, neat classes) and as in 3E, AC and Attacks go up instead of down. The rewrite will, if OGL, take that further, and if they keep most of the spells, you've got some visually great stuff to work from (I still enjoy the heart ripper spell :D)

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
The original started you at 3rd level but was largely D&Dish in underlying structure -- Str, Dex etc, but instead of bonuses for high stats you got progressively larger die types -- so that when you attempted a "stunt", you used the die type according to the ability the stunt was most dependent on.

It was very cool.

Many of the spells turned up in Oriental Adventures.

Not as rambunctious as Feng Shui, for sure, but I have a feeling Pramas et al will be ratcheting things up -- and they've learned no shortage of game design lessons in the last few years, that's for sure.

Looking forward to this...

Psion

Adventurer
Stormborn said:
EDIT: According to Chris over on the Green Ronin Forum its going to be OGL! Great!

That's the easy question.

The hard (and long debated) question is whether it would be a True20 variant or a D&D friendly variant.

GMSkarka

Explorer
Heh. Never fails.

I announced my d20 wuxia project, The Dao of Wuxia, back in 2002-ish. A little bit later, GR announced that they'd gotten the rights to Chris' Dragonfist from WotC, and so I figured that I'd back-burner my project---since GR obviously has a bigger audience, there wouldn't be much point.

Fast forward a few years later. Dragonfist hasn't come out, and there's no indication of when it will be released. GR appears to have their hands full with many other things. So, I go ahead and decide to "front-burner" The Dao of Wuxia, and announce on the Adamant website.

Naturally, about three days later, the Amazon entry comes to my attention. So now I have to decide whether to go ahead with my project, or back-burner it again.

I just can't win. :)

Remove ads