• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Dragon] Gladiators: We who are about to die...

Milambus

First Post
Quick overview of the contents:
- 6 background flavors for a gladiator
- Heroic Feats: 12
- Paragon Feats: 4
- Epic Feats: 2
- "Arena Fighting Feats": 24 - These feats add abilities to existing At-Will powers. Example: When using Twin strike and wielding a double weapon, you can shift 1 square after the first attack.
- Paragon Path: 1 (Arena Champion)
- Magic Armor: 5
- Superior Melee Weapons: 2 (Net and Whip)
- Superior Ranged Weapons: 1 (Bola)
- Magic Weapons: 4
- Weapon Mastery Feats [Multi-class] Paths: 3 (4 feats & 3 powers per path)

Comments:
Wow.

Questions:
1. Can the Arena Fighting Feats be used anywhere? Or should they be restricted to an arena type of fight?
2. Would/Should the effects of the Arena Feats stack?
3. Each of the new weapons has a Weapon Mastery multi-class path, can you still use the standard Weapon Proficiency for them instead?
4. General thoughts?

James McMurray

First Post
I really like this article. It took me a few tries to access it because WotC and Firefox don't play well together, but it looks really nice to me. I especially like the special weapon feats, which give you a superior weapon that isn't really all that superior, but a bonus and some power swapping that can make it prett cool.

Mengu

First Post
Already have a thread going on this just as an fyi (though it's more about MP speculations)
http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-4th-edition-rules/243231-we-who-about-die.html

Quick overview of the contents:
1. Can the Arena Fighting Feats be used anywhere? Or should they be restricted to an arena type of fight?
2. Would/Should the effects of the Arena Feats stack?
3. Each of the new weapons has a Weapon Mastery multi-class path, can you still use the standard Weapon Proficiency for them instead?
4. General thoughts?

1. I don't see why not. There is nothing there that screams overpowered.
2. It would probably be all right, especially because you would need to meet some heft requisites in order to get multiples of these feats. I would have to check case by case.
3. I suppose, though there wouldn't be much point in it. May as well get the feat that lets you do more.
4. One of my favorite articles so far.

FreshDice

First Post
I am sure as hell not regretting that one year subscription if this is the awesome we will be receiving. I have to say I'm impressed and interested in playing with the idea of multi class feats that aren't even classes. More power choices for these paths might be a nice touch to.

Milambus

First Post
Already have a thread going on this just as an fyi (though it's more about MP speculations)
http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-4th-edition-rules/243231-we-who-about-die.html

I did see your thread, and since it seemed to be more about implication/indications from it for Martial Powers I decided to make the new thread. This way there is one thread to discuss MP speculation, and a different one to discuss the rest of the content of the article. =)

3. I suppose, though there wouldn't be much point in it. May as well get the feat that lets you do more.

Since it is a Multiclass feat you could not take the new feats and still Multi-class as normal.

I could definitely see a Warlord wanting the whip with its Off-hand Reach, and +3 prof bonus and still be able to Multi-class into something else. Longsword main hand for Heavy Blade Opportunist, and whip off hand for reach attack/effects from Warlord powers...

jedrious

First Post
I did see your thread, and since it seemed to be more about implication/indications from it for Martial Powers I decided to make the new thread. This way there is one thread to discuss MP speculation, and a different one to discuss the rest of the content of the article. =)

Since it is a Multiclass feat you could not take the new feats and still Multi-class as normal.

I could definitely see a Warlord wanting the whip with its Off-hand Reach, and +3 prof bonus and still be able to Multi-class into something else. Longsword main hand for Heavy Blade Opportunist, and whip off hand for reach attack/effects from Warlord powers...

also note that those multi-class feats require that you already have the Martial power source so the proficiency feat is still needed for Paladins, Clerics, Warlocks, Warlords, Swordmages, Artificiers, Barbarians, speculatively all classes in phb 2, etc. since you can't multiclass to qualify

on another note I'm going to make a goblin ranger whipmaster to pester the front line of enemies from the cozy spot behind my fighters

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
Here is a quick question: The weapon mastery tree for bola etc. requires martial power source. Does this then ramp up the Half-elf's usefulness. As any half elf who takes an at will from a martial class would thus be able to qualify for these multiclass feats even though he is not necissarily a martial character himself. Thus a Half-elf paladin or Barbarian would get a lot of benefit out of this?

Shroomy

Adventurer
Here is a quick question: The weapon mastery tree for bola etc. requires martial power source. Does this then ramp up the Half-elf's usefulness. As any half elf who takes an at will from a martial class would thus be able to qualify for these multiclass feats even though he is not necissarily a martial character himself. Thus a Half-elf paladin or Barbarian would get a lot of benefit out of this?

Power source comes from your class, not powers, so I would say that it would not.

WalterKovacs

First Post

Multiclass feats say you are considered that class for prerequisites. The half-elf dilletante power does not [it doesn't even let you use the implements like a multiclass feat does].

Rechan

Adventurer
The Arena power feats make the half-elf's dilettante power even more appealing. Also, the savage armor would be really appealing if it was a cloth or leather armor; a squishy type wearing that and suddenly shoving everyone away to escape? Priceless.

Here's my rules question: the daily powers for the Net and Whip say target is grabbed/knocked prone/etc (save ends). Then it says "You can sustain this power as long as you are within 5 squares from the target."

What does sustaining a power do when it has a save ends effect? Does that mean that, as long as you sustain, the save doesn't matter?

Remove ads