Dragon Gods (Aasterinian, Chronepsis, and Faluzure)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Tidbits from Planescape

these breif items are all i could find from the Planescape boxed sets regarding these three deities (but then, i wasn't searching very hard).

Attachments

• planescape dragon gods notes.doc
    21 KB · Views: 194

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
i found a picture of Chronepsis from the Planes of Chaos boxed set (1994).

Attachments

• chronepsis.jpg
    chronepsis.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 786

Krishnath

First Post
Nice, from the decriptions in the Scans document, I have found the following:

Aasternian - Should be size category Huge, and is described as a huge brass dragon. Therefore her primary should be that of a brass dragon )Line of fire), with her secondary being that of Spiral of Degradation as mentioned above. Apparently she can only use the latter once per day... She also has the same magic immunity that Bahamut and Tiamat share.

Chronepsis - Desribed as a small (very young?) black dragon, although he can alter his size at will. Among other things he has the ability to use Improved Invisibility at will. His breath weapon is a 100' side Cube of Disintegration! Although I would have to say, it would be better to change it to either a cone or a line. Also he can cast Slay Living at will, and is more or less immune to all non-divine magic! Fortunatly he's not agressive :D his magical harp should be treated as a greater artifact. He is also an intermediate god (I suggest a divine rank of 15)

Falazure - Nasty, nasty, nasty! Lacks the ability to fly (to bad). Worshipped only by Shadow Dragons (and necromancers :D) appears much like a Great Wyrm Shadow Dragon, although his scales are silver lined mindinight blue, and he is of colossal size. His breathweapon drains 10! levels on a failed save (compared to the great wyrm shadow dragons 8 levels), but is a cloud similar to that of a Dragon Turtle, rather than the cone of a shadow dragon. He can cast Animate Dead at will. And is immune to all spells of level 5 or lower, as standard for draconic deities.

Of the three draconic deities here, the one I would least want to run into is Falazure, nasty, nasty, nasty! :D

Later,

Krishnath

First Post
Sorry about the double post, but there is the small matter of their domains, according to Defenders of the Faith™ they only have 2 domains, while Deities and Demigods™ clearly state that deities recieve three domains minimum. So here are the listed domains of the above deities (with suggested additional domains in parenthesis)

Aasternian - Chaos, Trickery, (suggest adding the Illusion domain from the FRCS.)
Chronepsis - Death, Knowledge, (suggest adding the Fate domain, found in FRCS.)
Falazure - Death, Evil, (suggest adding Darkness and undeath domains. Both can be found in the FRCS.)

Later,

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Hmm, that's right - Defenders of the Faith! are these gods listed in that book? if so, we can use some information from there. i won't be home til tomorrow, so i will look it up then myself.

Krishnath

First Post
They're listed as draconic gods in the back of the book, along with Bahamut, Tiamat and Io. The onlly information, is what they're gods over, the alternate titles (like the Night Dragon, for Falazure), their favored weapon, and their domains (of the ones listed in the PHB.)

The above post is only suggestions to additional domains, as Defenders of the Faith™ only list two domains, and Deities and Denigods™ mention that all gods start with three domains. (Often gaining additional domains through salient abilities.)

The book (DotF) also mentions, although only briefly, other monstrous deities, including the giant pantheon.

Later,

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, items:

Size: first of all, ignore the 2E size categories: they are out of date. Just go with the numerical lengths. Aasterinian and Faluzure would both clearly be of Colossal size, according to Monster Mythology (hereafter referred to as MonMyth). She is listed as being 450 feet in overall length (body 250’, tail 200’) and he as 520 feet overall (body 290’, tail 230’). Chronepsis is debatable, as he appears to have the ability to alter his body’s size between 60 feet – 600 feet in overall length at will (60%/40% split between body/tail.) 60 feet would put him just barely in the range of Gargantuan size, but of course anything larger than 64 feet is Colossal. I’m not sure how significant such a size altering ability would be in 3E rules, but it would serve its purpose in intimidation factor. :)

For both Aasterinian and Chronepsis, it says to “treat the avatar as a Great Gold Wyrm” and Falazure as a Great Wyrm Shadow Dragon. Therefore, I think we can assume that these gods have the powers and abilities of a great wyrm except were differences are noted. As such, see the following items. (I don’t have Monsters of Faerun with me, bear with me and give me some tips until I get home to look at it.)

Ability scores: obviously, this is something that changed a lot between 2E and 3E. removing the cap on abilities (25 formerly) leads us to have much more power for creatures, especially gods. Ability scores for a great wyrm gold dragon are 47/10/33/32/33/32. but, given in MonMyth, we have:
Aasterinian: 21/22/23/22/21/24
Chronepsis: 19/19/21/24/25/24
Faluzure: 21/20/23/21/24
Obviously, we don’t want to use those old values! But, they will be helpful in rethinking them for 3E. In DDG we have examples of Bahamut (53/10/39/35/36/35) and Tiamat (49/10/35/28/25/29) to work from, to reassign ability scores. In MonMyth they were:
Bahamut: 23/21/24/22/23/24
Tiamat: 21/20/23/19/20/24

Hit Dice: Again, we’ve got some bumping up to do. In MonMyth, Aasterinian and Chronepsis had 20 HD, while Faluzure had 17 HD. Note that a modern great gold wyrm has 41 HD! In DDG, Bahamut has 53 HD and Tiamat has 49 HD – notice how the HD and Strength score are the same!! In MonMyth, Bahamut had 22, and Tiamat had 20. maybe these other 3 gods should have slightly fewer HD than Tiamat does.

Natural Armor: well, again some increase needed, but not as dramatic. In MonMyth, Aasterinian had AC –13 (rough equivalent of AC 33 today), Chronepsis had –10, and Faluzure had –16. Bahamut had –14 and Tiamat had –12. In 3E, GGWs have a +40 natural armor, while Bahamut has 52 and Tiamat 48 (note that these are HD –1!)

Speed: These can probably convert over naturally, but we may need to futz a bit. GGW’s have speed 60 ft, fly 250 ft (clumsy), swim 60 ft. in MonMyth, these gods are not given maneuverability class for flight speed – but they are probably assumed to be A (perfect). Recalculated from MonMyth stats, these gods would be:
Aasterinian: 120 ft, fly 300 ft (clumsy?), swim 230 ft
Chronepsis: his movement rate is listed as “special”, but I don’t see anywhere that it is described further?
Faluzure: 50 ft, burrow 30 ft (poor fella can’t fly)

Bite attacks: should we standardize these as 4d8 (as Bahamut and Tiamat are in DDG) and just let the Strength adjustment take care of the rest? They had some pretty big damage in Mon Myth: Aasterinian (7d8) and Faluzure (8d8) would do a lot more damage if that isn’t taken into account.

Spell Resistance: converting over in the standard way, that gives us Aasterinian with SR 27, Chronepsis with 34, and Faluzure with 31. adjust, or leave as/is?

hmm, there’s a lot more stuff, but I have to go pretend to work. ;) there will be more later! (much of it non stat-related)

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Krishnath said:
They're listed as draconic gods in the back of the book, along with Bahamut, Tiamat and Io. The onlly information, is what they're gods over, the alternate titles (like the Night Dragon, for Falazure), their favored weapon, and their domains (of the ones listed in the PHB.)

could ya save me some time by listing the portfolio, titles, and favored weapons for these three? :D

thanks!

Krishnath

First Post
O.k. but first the size stuff.

The differences in size have been changed considerably between 2nd and 3rd edition. In general reducing the overall size of creatures by roughly 33%, which would give Chronepsis a size range of 40 to 400 feet, 40% of which is his tail. But as I stated earlier, all descriptions I have read of chronepsis, he is desrcibed as a small black dragon, an I have severe trouble seing him as anything larger than medium-size. But I guess that's just me. And besides, with a breathweapon like the one described above, he doesn't need to be particularly large. :D

Ok. now to the fun part.

It will be written as follows: deity/titles/portfolio/Favored weapon.

Aasternian/Io's Messenger/Chaotic Dragons/Bite
Chronepsis/<lack's a title>/Death, Fate, Judgement/Bite
Falazure/The Night Dragon/Energy Draining, Undeath, Exhaustion, Decay/Bite

Note that aasternian is described as a huge brass dragon in DotF also.

(Stupid, pointless, fact: My first 3E PC, Exodore Praxis, a CN rogue, is a devout follower of Chronepsis. See, I told you it was pointless.) :D

LAter,

Krishnath

First Post
Now to dismantle the other post, just kidding :D

Well, for the abilities part, take the stats of a great wyrm of the appopriate type, and then adjust for possible size changes. Then for fun, distribute 24 ability points as you see fit. They should end up somewhere around Bahamut and Tiamat.

HD. Simple multiply their old HD by 2,5 and round up. :D

Natural Armor: HD -1 makes sense, with the exception of Falazure as a Shadow Dragons natural armor equals HD+3!!!

Speed: Chronepsis can pretty much keep up with any dragon, no matter that dragons mode of speed, and I'm pretty sure he can move through solid objects as if they wheren't there. Falazure on the other hand, needs to have a land speed of at least 80', othervise he can't keep up with even a wyrmling shadow dragon. Aasternian should have the movement of a great brass wyrm +50' in the fly speed.

Bite: I think standardizations is a good idea, although I doubt Chronepsis will ever use his bite... :D

SR: Compare the spell resistance you listed with what Bahamut and Tiamat has, now look up D&D, and notice what resistances the deities recieve (32+Divine Rank) take whatever nets the highest result. :D

hope this was of additional help :D

Remove ads