• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Dragon] Lord, the cheese...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Piratecat said:
Be respectful of other people's opinions, folks. Don't post if you're angry. And keep this thread on topic. Violations of these simple guidelines will not make me a happy moderator.

Tburdett, I am not a happy moderator. Your post just got removed. What in the world made you think that I suddenly revoked these guidelines?

Stop with the personal insults, folks. I'm not going to say it again.

As an aside, thanks to those who were provoked - and managed to hold off on biting back.

S'mon

Legend
Holy Bovine said:

Now this I do agree with. I too remember some of those classic covers (esp the chess ones - I purposedly went out of my way to collect all of them). Portraits are fine but it has been a long time since anything like the chess covers or even that one shown from the inside of an F15 as it fires missles at a dragon (about issue 115? I think.) More variety would be nice.

The F15 was cool - around issue 150 I think. I always enjoyed the Dragon covers up until they started putting the art in boxes surrounded by acres of dull white space. That said, my favourite RPG mag covers are the White Dwarf ones up to issue 89, using fantastic artwork by 'real' fantasy illustrators like Jim Burns & Chris Achilleos. They knock the socks off any in-house illustrators IMO.

tburdett

Explorer
Piratecat said:

Tburdett, I am not a happy moderator. Your post just got removed. What in the world made you think that I suddenly revoked these guidelines?

Nothing. Sometimes you see the line, but you just don't stop in time. In this case, I obviously crossed the line. I came back later to remove the more inflammatory stuff, as I've done a few times in the past, but you had already done your job by then. I'm glad that you deleted my post rather than close the thread.

(This editing brought to you by the letter 'e', which does not belong in the word 'back'.)

Last edited:

The_lurkeR

First Post
quote:Originally posted by WizarDru

I frankly find covers like these embarassing. They harken to the image of the 13 year-old nerd who's intimidated by women, and likes to look at sexy pictures of them. That's fine, when I was 13. That was a long time ago for me, and most of Paizo's readership. If they want to do that sort of thing, they can. But I really wish they wouldn't. I don't like having to find a place to keep such materials out of view for my children, in-laws and co-workers. I'd like to be able to proudly mention my hobby, rather than make excuses for it's materials. The inside of the issue is great stuff, too.

That sums it up 100% for me.

Pretty much sums it up for me as well. It's not despicable or morally wrong, but I do find it embarrassing. That kind of weak cheesecake doesn't put a good face on the game or magazine.

Also agreeing with some previous posters, why not a little more variety in the covers instead of a cartoony, "in your face", posed character month after month?

Just my 2 cents in case anyone from paizo is listening...

S'mon

Legend
Having taken part in this debate I thought I'd better go over to Paizo and see what the cover actually looks like...
Well, it's not very _good_, as far as I can tell, but the idea that that could be offensive to _anyone_, or need to be concealed from children, is frankly mind-boggling.
They need better covers with more of the 'sense of wonder' that sadly often seems lacking from 3e. Whether those covers have a teeny little bit of visible skin in them is surely irrelevant.

Remove ads