• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon magazine

Layander

First Post
I renewed my sub for did a long time ago hoping to start getting dragon mags to find out that they were no longer compiling them into a mag, I don't like individual articles, I was pretty sure this would only be temporary so I am asking, are they magazines again yet? Thanks again.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I renewed my sub for did a long time ago hoping to start getting dragon mags to find out that they were no longer compiling them into a mag, I don't like individual articles, I was pretty sure this would only be temporary so I am asking, are they magazines again yet? Thanks again.

Unfortunately not. I download all the articles into folders for each issue. If I had the full version of Acrobat, I could recombine them but I don't. :(

Its a real pain. You reading this WotC people? For the love of all that is good and pure, please recombine the articles into one PDF. Its ridiculous that you have to download individual articles if you want an entire issue.

Those who want individual articles can still download them that way, but why take away the option for those who want a compiled issue?

Its just frustration for the sake of frustration.

CM

Adventurer
Unfortunately not. I download all the articles into folders for each issue. If I had the full version of Acrobat, I could recombine them but I don't. :(

I too wish Wizards would post the full magazines, but in case you still want to merge them there are free open-source programs that let you split and merge pdfs. The one I use is PDF Split and Merge (named appropriately enough).

You may have to remove the Ask.com Toolbar program after installing though, so watch out for that.

Quickleaf

Legend
Another voice that the change to no compiled PDFs sucks.

It would be understandable if they went to a searchable online database, but the way they did it was just replacing something that was working fine with something inferior. Cue kidney shots at DDi ;)

vagabundo

Adventurer
Ghostscript will allow you to combine pdfs at the command line:

gs -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOUTPUTFILE=combinedpdf.pdf -dBATCH 1.pdf 2.pdf 3.pdf

It should be available for windows. Someone with windows scripting or batch file skills could create a drop in batch file that would merge the files together. The only problem would be creating a TOC.

Ryujin

Legend
Ghostscript will allow you to combine pdfs at the command line:

gs -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOUTPUTFILE=combinedpdf.pdf -dBATCH 1.pdf 2.pdf 3.pdf

It should be available for windows. Someone with windows scripting or batch file skills could create a drop in batch file that would merge the files together. The only problem would be creating a TOC.

I actually own a copy of Acrobat Professional, so combining the articles wouldn't be that tough if I wanted to take the time, but I won't because I shouldn't have to. It's not the point. Once a month I would go to the site, download the mags, and then read them. When it became less convenient, I stopped. As a result I'm rarely going to the Wizards site, at all. That means, where I'm concerned at least this change, that I presume was meant to drive more hits to their website, is a miserable failure.

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
I actually own a copy of Acrobat Professional, so combining the articles wouldn't be that tough if I wanted to take the time, but I won't because I shouldn't have to. It's not the point. Once a month I would go to the site, download the mags, and then read them. When it became less convenient, I stopped. As a result I'm rarely going to the Wizards site, at all. That means, where I'm concerned at least this change, that I presume was meant to drive more hits to their website, is a miserable failure.

My sentiments exactly. I actually wrote to them at the time, several times, and never got a reply. I let my DDi lapse for a time (I am again a subscriber), but the point is I read less of their content now, and I visit the site less. shrug.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
I would like to see a compiled PDF too.
It is a bit strange that they are not available that way.

Remove ads