• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Magic Auras

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
I was juist looking at the extra Draconic Auras in Dragon Magic when something about one of them caught my eye.

Dragon Magic page 87
Swiftness: This aura grants you a bonus on Climb, Jump, and Swim checks. It also increases you climb, fly, and swim speeds by 5x your bonus. (The aura doesn’t grant you a fly or swim speed if you don’t already have one.)

The text states that the aura doesn't grant a fly or swim speed, but neglects to mention climb. Would it be safe to assume then that my allies and I gain/increase our climb speed(s) by the correct value?

Darklone

I'd say you gain an increase. E.g. if you don't have any, you're not faster. Point is, your increased movement speed will let you climb faster... even if you don't have a climb speed. Since Fly and Swim speeds are separate entries, they wrote it that way.

Infiniti2000

First Post
BlackSeed_Vash said:
The text states that the aura doesn't grant a fly or swim speed, but neglects to mention climb. Would it be safe to assume then that my allies and I gain/increase our climb speed(s) by the correct value?
It doesn't explicitly grant you a climb speed, so I would say you don't gain one. On the other hand, I would say that it increases your speed while climbing/swimming even if you don't have a listed speed (though that may not be what the text allows). Note that having a Speed is different from the fact that you can still climb using a climb check (as you can also swim without a swim speed). Having a climb/swim speed, however, grants additional benefits and that is not in the text. So, for example, I would say that if you have base land speed of 40ft and a bonus of +2, then your speed while climbing and swimming would be 40/4+2*5=20ft.

Remove ads