• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Shaman auras

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
I have a few questions about their auras. Specifically when it comes to two or more dragon shamans using the same aura at the same time.
1) I can seem to find a 'name' for bonuses a player would recieve for auras like Power or Presence. Does this mean they are unnamed?
2) I know that normal like DRs stack so I assume the Toughness aura would do so with other DR x/magic sources. But would multilpe Toughness auras stack?
3) Would multiple Resistance or Vigor auras stack?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
BlackSeed_Vash said:
2) I know that normal like DRs stack...

No, they don't.

"If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation."

-Hyp.

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
So your saying a Barbarian 7 (DR 1/-) Dwarven Defender 5 (DR 3/-) has a total DR 3/-?

OK then, figured that the each dragon shaman counted as a seperate source.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
BlackSeed_Vash said:
So your saying a Barbarian 7 (DR 1/-) Dwarven Defender 5 (DR 3/-) has a total DR 3/-?

Even if he's wearing adamantine full plate (DR 3/-). He has three sources of DR which do not stack, and only the best applies; 3/-.

Certain sources specify that they stack (the Roll With It feat from Savage Species, or the Ironward Diamond from Magic Item Compendium, for example); these are exceptions.

Barbarian and Dwarven Defender carry no such exception.

-Hyp.

Sejs

First Post
*nod* As Hyp said, DRs don't stack.

The only area where having multiple sources of DR is beneficial is when they have different bypasses.

A Barbarian with DR 2/-, wearing a cloak that gives DR 5/magic would have DR 5, unless struck by a magical weapon, in which case his /magic DR is bypassed, but his DR 2/- steps up and gets to apply.

evilbob

Explorer
As others have posted, the auras wouldn't stack. You would simply apply the best result (say, if the shamans were different level and had different bonuses to their auras) for those who were in both of the auras. Fast healing, resistances, DR - none of these normally stack.

However, if the bonuses to initiative, spot, listen, or bluff, diplomacy, etc. (from the other auras mentioned) all were unnamed, then they would stack with any other items or effects that granted bonuses to these skills or abilities. For example, a luckstone grants (among other things) a +1 competence bonus to skill checks; this would stack with the unnamed aura bonus to spot and listen or any of the other skill bonuses (if it is, in fact, listed as just a bonus).

(That said, I would suggest that an extremely effective tactic would be to get multiple dragon shamans together and simply have them each use a different aura... Combine that with the "multiple auras" feat from Dragon Magic, and ...well, you've got a bunch of auras.)

James McMurray

First Post
Would the damage shield auras stack if they were different elements? A party of Dragon Shamen each with a seperate aura could do some pretty nasty damage to everyone that attacked them without reach.

evilbob

Explorer
I would certainly vote yes on that one, and concur.

(Also, just incase this wasn't made clear, multiple resistances to different energy sources would all function in tandem.)

DreadArchon

First Post
evilbob said:
I would certainly vote yes on that one, and concur.

(Also, just incase this wasn't made clear, multiple resistances to different energy sources would all function in tandem.)
Indeed, they're different effects. You can cast Protection from Energy: Acid and Protection from Energy: Fire on the same person, even though they're both the Protection from Energy spell.

SRD said:
More generally, two bonuses of the same type don’t stack even if they come from different spells (or from effects other than spells; see Bonus Types, above).
"Fire Resist" is not the same type as "Acid Resist."

Remove ads