• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragon Shaman without auras, what should it get?

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Ok, I was wondering, If a Dragon Shaman did not get any auras, what would be suitable compensation? Would giving it 3 good saves instead of two and a full bab be too powerful?

Any other suggestions? I'm working on a Racial class for a Dragon like creature thats large. So maybe that will help on ideas If the above idea is too strong. The class would have multi class restrictions like a monk and would have to be taken at first level if balance is an issue.

*edit*
fixed

Last edited:

Necromas

First Post
The name of the class you're talking about escapes me, but it's not dragon disciple, that's a prestige class that builds up to getting the half dragon template.

Pyrex

First Post
Assuming you're talking about the Dragon Shaman, the Auras are a huge part of the class.

Before considering replacements, why do you want an aura-less Dragon Shaman in the first place?

Either way, the closest replacement is either the similar auras from the Marshall, or Bardic Music.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
yeah your right, my bad. HAHA. i will fix this right up.

I felt that A Dragon Shaman, Is a good base to work on when dealing with a class that breaths fire and incorporates dragon abilities without needing any racial changes.

The auras dont have a dragon feel in my opinion so I wanted to remove them, but people tell me that the auras are the strongest part of the class. So this is clearly a problem if I am removing them.

Now this it's not so much that i'm trying to change the dragon shaman, Its more that I am using the dragon shaman to create another class that gains a breath weapon, dragon type, natural armor, energy resistance, and flying.

So what could replace a dragon shamans auras?

My thought was to give them a 3rd good save (reflex) and this would push them more mechanically closer to true dragons. a full base attack seems to much in my opinion when I compare them to rangers, duskblades, paladins, and hexblades. I could be wrong though, but im a tad reluctant?

If you were playing a dragon theamed class similar to dragon shaman, but you didn't get an aura, what would you want in return that is dragonlike?

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
The auras are incredibly important to the class being useful. Otherwise it's a mediocre meat shield with a few neat tricks, after struggling past the first few levels where they'll be fairly useless without the auras.

First, give 'em a bonus feat at each level where they would've otherwise gained a point of bonus with their aura (such as 1st-level, where it would normally start at a +1 bonus). These can be any feats they qualify for.

Second, improve their base skill points per level to 4.

After that.....probably not much more needed. This kinda restores their flexibility and utility, but they're still lacking a bit of the offense and defense they lose out on from lacking the auras. I suppose give them a minor ability that starts at 1st-level, called Melee Affinity. "The Dragon Shaman has an affinity for close combat, whenever violence erupts. At 1st-level he gains a +1 bonus on melee attack rolls, which improves to +2 at Nth-level, and then to +3 at Xth-level." Insert whatever levels you like for N and X (I don't remember off-hand what levels would be weakest for a Dragon Shaman without auras, so I'm not sure what levels these should be placed at). This is much less potent than a boost to BAB, but allows them to be reasonably good in combat beyond simply the breath weapon they gain at 4th-level and only get to use once every few rounds....

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Might as well work from the ground up. You'd want to get rid of their healing abilities too if you want to make them more dragon like, so loosing that and auras is about 1/2 the class.
Probably give them full BAB. Spell-like abilities that more closely mirror what their true dragon gets. Maybe a couple more skill points.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Tell us about this dragon-like creature, and what its paragon class should do that regular class levels can't do.

Cheers, -- N

Moon-Lancer

First Post
well this class would be standard class (or racial progression) that would fill the nitch of dragon for a dragon rider. Normaly a dragon would be too strong to give to a rider, and it suffers the problem of leveling. I was thinking that that If the dragon was based on off a class like progression, which the rider could take a leadership like feat that would be more flexible and serve as a mount for dragon riders. Ultimitly though, if this new racial dragon class is broken, so to is the rider.

I would also like this class to be playable as a stand alone.

some things I have changed about the dragon shaman to fit this new class. Its breath weapon progression starts at level 2. at this level it chooses an energy type and slowly gains energy resistance to this type. It gets fly at a much earlier level, but is slower and less maneuverable. This gradually gets better as it levels. It also gets a few breath weapon tricks. it looses all auras and lay on hands abilities.

I like the fix

Full bab and all good saves, but is this reasonable? It is the simplest solution but i fear its too strong. I have not tested it though. I may be suffering from OMG COOL syndrome. Thats pretty vain considering its my own class.

I wanted an opinion other then my own and my roommate/girlfriend.

Another fix I thought of was, though stranger, was giving it a breath weapon that doesn't need to recharge, or perhaps recharges every 1d2 rounds.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You might also consider looking in 3rd party sources. The Arcana Unearthed/Arcana Evolved game from Malhavoc has 2 Draconic races that have up to 6 racial levels (similar to those in Savage Species).

Its not exactly what you're looking for, but it might give you some ideas.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads