OSR Dragon Slayer RPG (Dr. Greg Gillespie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jahydin

Hero
Surprised there hasn't been a thread discussing Greg's RPG Dragon Slayer that just dropped on Kickstarter.

Looks to be his houseruled version of B/X "Advanced" (similar to Labrinth Lord) with some great "old-school" art work.

Curious if anyone here has backed it?

Oh, have to share the cover art:
1694347958451.png

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I'm so happy with Shadowdark that I'm not really looking for more rulesets, and in any event I'm not into retroclones, but I have to admit I'm tempted to back this just to:
a) Read it and see the artwork, and...
b) Support independents

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don't understand how someone who has published things in the past would put out an RPG with a title and font so similar to the movie. Based on the numerous FB posts this has been the topic of, several people have assumed this was an RPG based on the movie. That seems evidence of a trademark issue since it's causing market confusion. I know he's not dumb and he's not new, so I have to think it's intentional.

I also don't understand why he thinks we need yet another D&D retroclone, but whateves. His right.

But I won't back it or support because I strongly disagree with the ethical (or lack thereof) positions held by Greg. But that's just me. Make up your own minds about it.

My main problem with this is the sales patch or rather the lack thereof. I do get why he wants to make it, but I'm not sure what I would get out of it that is not already served by e.g. OSE Advanced Fantasy.
That would leave only artwork and personal support for Greg as reasons for support. And in both cases, I don't really feel strong enough about it to justify pledging.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
I don't understand how someone who has published things in the past would put out an RPG with a title and font so similar to the movie. Based on the numerous FB posts this has been the topic of, several people have assumed this was an RPG based on the movie. That seems evidence of a trademark issue since it's causing market confusion. I know he's not dumb and he's not new, so I have to think it's intentional.

The final boss of Barrowmaze was a dracolich named "Ossithrax Pejorative."

It's intentional.

I also don't understand why he thinks we need yet another D&D retroclone, but whateves. His right.

But I won't back it or support because I strongly disagree with the ethical (or lack thereof) positions held by Greg. But that's just me. Make up your own minds about it.
Thank you and my thoughts exactly. Do we need yet another houseruled b/x created by yet another OSR chud? No, we do not.

Mod Edit: link removed. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

ldvhl

Explorer
I really dislike how my niche corner of the hobby is infested with bleep like this.

I wish all the worst to him and his KS. May he rest in bleep.

Mod edit: Language. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Oh yikes. Yeah, I did some reading. Let's just say I won't be backing this and leave it at that.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I might be able to separate the art from the artist if it weren't for the fact that his products are exorbitantly expensive and horribly edited. They're in the running for the most poorly edited RPG products I've ever laid my eyes upon. And I don't mean things like bad grammar and misspellings (although they have both of those in spades), but more things like missing a table that is crucial to using a book. And, rather than reformat the book in question to include the missing table in this specific instance, the author's response (at the time) was to tell people to purchase a different book (the same campaign for another system) to get access to the table. Oh, brother!

[Edit: I do concede that the ideas in many of Gillespie's books are neat, but my point is that the cover price and bad editing drag down those books mightily.]

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads