• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

{DRAGON] Will there be a DRAGON Annual this year?

Emiricol

No one says they are legally required to do so. Just that they always have, and their reasons for changing that policy now are flimsy, punitive, and not the best way to keep their subscribers happy.

So, it doesn't really matter what the circulation statement (pp 106 in #302) says - that's not the issue, and has not ever been the issue.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Emiricol said:
No one says they are legally required to do so. Just that they always have, and their reasons for changing that policy now are flimsy, punitive, and not the best way to keep their subscribers happy.
They always have, but were only on Annual #6? (counting the d20 as #6)

I'd like the annual too, but I don't think it's worth complaining about. I'd rather see a Best of Dragon come out every year, around December. Perhaps with a discounted price for subscribers.

Emiricol

Well, they always have since *I've* subscribed. I like the D20 thing, though, since I already have the original magazines...

I mean, I certainly can see where the publisher might have been irritated, but to just tell ALL of us off, the way it was done at the top of this thread, just wasn't productive way to handle things at all.

Still, whether D20 or Best Of, I'd buy both if they put one or the other out. A discount for subscribers would go a long way towards smoothing ruffled feathers, and has the added bonus of meaning that they don't give the twits something FREE to COMPLAIN about.

Dark Psion

First Post
coyote6 said:
Was there ever an actual agreement that said subscribers would get 13 issues a year?

Yes, it said you get a free Dragon annual with a paid subscription and there was no small print

Default Name Player said:

If you only want specific issues of Dragon and an annual, the question is: why AREN'T you only picking up the issues at your local FLGS? It's still supporting the magazine, but with less complaining/feeling ripped off on your end.

Because I don't have a local gaming store. Many of us don't and I really don't wish to drive 30 miles just for a magazine.

I subscribe to alot of magazines, and I don't know when the last time Newsweek, Computer Gaming Monthly, Maxim, FHM, Stuff, Dungeon, Dragon, PC Gamer, Electronic Games Monthly, Playboy, Computer Games Magazine, Official Playstation Magazine, PSM Magazine, Official Xbox Magazine, Newtype USA, Wizard, Premiere, Entertainment Weekly, World War II, Vietnam, Military History "appreciated" me, since I just get them for the info or entertainment value, but I guess I should look forward to that day?

And when you get your Official Playstation Magazine and there is no demo disc, do you get upset? When you renew your Newsweek and Entertainment Weekly, don't you expect to get your free radio or sportsbag?

This is just conjecture on my part, but I would think that "many" people ordered Dragon magazine...for Dragon magazine? Sorry, but there's all of this talk over an annual/special, but what about the other 12 issues that comes out during the year? The Annual/Special was a nice addition, but the crux of my subscription has always been for the Dragon magazine itself. Maybe it's just me?

No, this is just the straw that broke the camel's back. The waste that was the 300th issue of Dragon, the "in your face" pushing of the new WoC book, a month before we can even buy it, the fewer and fewer adventures in Dungeon, And most of all the horrible way that Pazio Publishing is treating it's customers. They got our money and they want us to go away, not come back and ask for "More, sir"

When I read the Insulting post by Mr Willson above, I called to see how many months I had left and almost cancelled my subscriptions to both, but I changed my mind. My subscriptions are good thru April 2004, If I don't see a marked improvment by April 2003, I will cancel both and get a refund.

That is a message you can't ignore.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Well, cancelling your subscription to the only monthly support WotC gives the game (and yes, I do mean WotC since the magazine is still produced on their behalf) seems foolhardy to me. But it is your money to spend how you want. I'm sure that Paizo will definitely miss the 1 subscription they won't be getting because of this.

But hey, I don't watch TNT because they cancelled Crusade before it even aired and had a chance to succeed in the ratings. If you feel you've been treated badly, you go for it with your bad self! You can be a one man army in the fight for a Dragon annual. Maybe you should also send a bunch of disgruntled emails to Paizo too. That will probably help.

Emiricol

Beyond the rudeness in this thread, in what way has Paizo & co been rude to Dragon customers? I'm not following that closely, but would be keen to know or be pointed at the right threads.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I've been supporting Dragon for a long time, and have been unwavering in my praise of it. The only thing that has disappointed me lately is this matter about the annual. My complaints about Dragon are almost totally the ones I've posted here on this thread. As I've said, I wouldn't mind simply paying to get an annual or a "best of" or somesuch; it's the lack of any annual at all that bothers me.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Emiricol said:
Beyond the rudeness in this thread, in what way has Paizo & co been rude to Dragon customers? I'm not following that closely, but would be keen to know or be pointed at the right threads.

Can't really help you out there. As far as I know, they haven't really been rude. Except if you construe this current bit about the annual as rude.

GBDeluxe

First Post
Annual vs d20 Special

All I have to say is this.

Dragon Annual 5 was probably the best issue of dragon all that year. It was FULL of useful things, charts, tables, prestige classes, monsters, I forgot everything exactly in that issue. But I remember so much USEABLE information.

D20 Special sucked worse that anything I think. It was like a giant commerical. Reviews. whatever. Useless info. I get better stuff from ENWORLD daily for free.

Bottom line: now because you produced a p.o.s. got called on it, you are not going to go back to the old format that people did like? I think it's a cop out to save money on creating one less issue.

And...If you do create one, even though I have a subscription, now I'ma hafta pay at the newstrand for one?

Hey.. whatever. But I won't be renewing my subscription.

And you can take that to the bank...

GBDeluxe

JoeGKushner

First Post
I will miss the Dragon annual personally and if it was included in the subscriptions rates, pay for it again.

Having said that, I think some of the complaints are those that are 'dismissed' as serving the customer ala the numerous friggin tie ins to official product. That is one thing I miss about 'old' Dragon if you will that it didn't rely so heavily on cross ins and promotions and I'm not just talking about issue 300 either but the last year almost seems full of this sort of thing. Strongholds, Vile Content, Epic content, Forgotten Realms countdown, tie in to Drow novels (heck, give me non-WotC novels if you're going for tie ins eh?) etc.. etc.. etc... I still enjoy the Greyhawk bits that are now in Dragon and enjoy many of the articles and think that the new Campaign Components are a good thing and look forward to seeing how these go, althought they don't seem to be a constnat. For example, we have swashbucklers and knights, but then nothing in the new issue.

Ah well, it can't be everything to everyone but I still think that the whole "We sold twice as much..." bit where they then decided to cancel was nonsense. I mean, am I mistkaen in that the annuals in past years also came with your subscription? It's possible. I am getting old, but I don't recall buying any of my annuals and getting them through the mail... Any help here?

Remove ads