• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonaut

Am I the only one who thinks this is way too powerful?

I mean this here by it's self is ridiculously overpowered for 1st level. Plus the intimidation factor of a humanoid commanding a DRAGON!

Maybe it is just me but if I were DM'ing I wouldn't let anyone pick this due to balance issues.

Yes, I've already told him about that. I think scaling it based on tier would be the best approach. Something like Con then 5 + Con and finally 10 + Con would probably work better.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yes, I've already told him about that. I think scaling it based on tier would be the best approach. Something like Con then 5 + Con and finally 10 + Con would probably work better.

Yup but you know
the name Eragon just flashed through my head so bad it made my eyes water. ;-). and with that story line Arcana becomes THE class skill.... and casting a spell would probably cause you damage :p

The resistance is too high, anything else problematic?

Paultimatum

First Post
I also agree the resistance should be reduced and scaling, possibly like the tiefling's fire resistance. Otherwise, I think the class features are fairly good, assuming the Draconic Challenge still applies. I like the idea, though it does seem like a defender version of the beastmaster ranger, and have a few comments.

First of all, there is nothing thematically wrong with scale armor, as usually it's made of interlocking scales of metal, not literally scales. Actual armor made of scales (like dragon) would be strange, but that's a special case anyway. Automatic plate armor proficiency might be a bit much to start with; the fighter doesn't have it even though the paladin does.

Secondly, something to keep in mind for converting monster powers: there are no monster daily powers (I think, I could be wrong on this, but in general anyway). They are only expected to be in one combat, so a encounter power with no recharge may be as powerful as a daily, because that's as close as they get. This means when recharge powers are converted, they often become encounter, with encounter powers becoming dailies. There ore obviously some places this doesn't work at all, like dragon breath, but it does help sometimes, for example, suggesting the Frightful Presence ability should be at least a level 3 daily (or since there is none and it appears at higher level too, level 5, maybe with low damage).

Finally, if you're going with defender role and marking, you probably want about fighter hp. It's possible the dragon needs some changes to reflect being a defender too, especially if it also does some marking towards itself instead of you, but I'm not sure. You don't want to end up with too much hp, effectively adding another character's worth of damage absorption (unless that's part of the classes job as defender, but it would need to avoid being overpowered).

Anyway, looks like a good idea, just some things I noticed.

chronoplasm

First Post
Thanks guys!

What would you guys think if I made this class (calling it the Dragon Knight now) arcane powered so that your character could use dragon magic and whatnot? That way, your companion doesn't wind up hogging all the spotlight.
The class would be related to the Sorcerer in much the same way that the Paladin is related to the Cleric.

I would keep it martial to be honest. If you have a lot of shouts it is more likely to be a martial class. Though when you do get this finished you could make another version that is more attuned to a wizard with a dragon familiar in the arcane grouping.

Though, you might just want to finish up the class first really.

Derren

Hero
Sounds like the 3E Dracolyte.

Edit: You should add Intimidate to the class list, considering that Tiamats Roar requires it.

Oh, and picture time:
leaving.asp

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
First of all, there is nothing thematically wrong with scale armor, as usually it's made of interlocking scales of metal, not literally scales.

In fact emulation is the perfectly flattering. The scale armor could be a part of a badge of office... if this happened often enough for an organization to be based on it.

chronoplasm

First Post
First off, heres a power idea:

Aerial Strike Dracolyte Attack ?
Encounter. Martial, Weapon
Standard-Action, Melee Weapon
Special: You may fly a number of squares equal to 1 + your Wisdom modifier before the attack.
Special: You may use this power instead of a basic attack when charging.
Target: One creature.
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage.

OK, so I think I have an idea of what stats I want this class to use.
Your main stat is Strength. For your secondary stat, you want either high Wisdom or Charisma.
High Wisdom is used for the 'Metallic' build while high Charisma is used for the 'Chromatic' build. I'm not sure at this point what I want these two builds to do though.
Any suggestions guys?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads