• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonborn: A bit of blue-skying

My initial reaction to the idea of Dragonborn was, frankly, disapointment. I'm looking more and more at a sort of fairy-tale inspired setting, and just going by the name "dragonborn" really didn't quite fit.

But my feeling is that my campaign world isn't just MY campaign world: It's ours, the players and mine. We develop it together, through play. And if someone thinks that the dragonborn are cool (and they may well be) and wants to play one, I 'm not going to say no to them.

So how do I make them fit? Proper answer is to wait until we have some actual details, and see what WoTC has to say. But that requires patience, and is no fun. Besides, this is the internet age, dammit!

Instead, I've been playing with concepts. Trying to come up with something that I like. And lo and behold, so I have. Thrice. So here are three ideas for the origin of the dragonborn. Which, if any, I end up using will depend on a number of factors.

(As a side note, "mortals" hereafter refers to any of the plausible PCs races. "Humans" is probably closer to the sense of what I mean, but when speaking of D&D you need to be more inclusive.)

Concept the First:
Dragons, from time to time, take mortal form. They lay with mortals, and children are concieved, and eventually born, in the normal way. The draconic parent will vanish shortly after the child's birth, never to be seen again. And the child? He seems normal enough, at first. Over the years, though, he begins to change. It's the eyes, first. And then scales growing upon his skin. A tail sprouts, and horns...and by the time he is an adolecent, he looks more dragon than mortal. He grows older, and stronger, and his resemblance to his parent grows stronger. And when the time is right, he'll find a place to go, to be alone. He'll die there...and some hours later, a newborn dragon will dig its way out of his cooling corpse.

Concept the Second:
Dragonborn are born to mortal parents, without apparent rhyme or reason. Perhaps it's the influence of the heavens, or a norterly wind blowing at the time of their conception. There are many theories, but no answers.

These children suffer various fates, according to where they are born. Some communities have them killed outright, or abandoned in the wilderness. In other places, they are honored, or even worshipped.

They know the language of dragons, these children, without ever having been taught. They have powers that set them apart from the mortals around them. But it is their task to act as intermediaries between the Dragons and the lesser races....

Concept the Third:
The first age was the age of Dragons. They kept the mortal races as pets, and slaves, and created the Dragonborn to act as overseers and administrators.

But it was the Dragonborn who started the revolt against the dragons, and who led the "lesser" races to victory against their masters so many centuries ago....

The third idea is the simplest, but I'm currently most fond of the second. That's likely to change many times between now and the time I hold the new PHB in my hands, too.

Remathilis

Legend
Bohemian Ear-Spork said:
My initial reaction to the idea of Dragonborn was, frankly, disapointment. I'm looking more and more at a sort of fairy-tale inspired setting, and just going by the name "dragonborn" really didn't quite fit.

But my feeling is that my campaign world isn't just MY campaign world: It's ours, the players and mine. We develop it together, through play. And if someone thinks that the dragonborn are cool (and they may well be) and wants to play one, I 'm not going to say no to them.

So how do I make them fit? Proper answer is to wait until we have some actual details, and see what WoTC has to say. But that requires patience, and is no fun. Besides, this is the internet age, dammit!

Instead, I've been playing with concepts. Trying to come up with something that I like. And lo and behold, so I have. Thrice. So here are three ideas for the origin of the dragonborn. Which, if any, I end up using will depend on a number of factors.

(As a side note, "mortals" hereafter refers to any of the plausible PCs races. "Humans" is probably closer to the sense of what I mean, but when speaking of D&D you need to be more inclusive.)

Concept the First:
Dragons, from time to time, take mortal form. They lay with mortals, and children are concieved, and eventually born, in the normal way. The draconic parent will vanish shortly after the child's birth, never to be seen again. And the child? He seems normal enough, at first. Over the years, though, he begins to change. It's the eyes, first. And then scales growing upon his skin. A tail sprouts, and horns...and by the time he is an adolecent, he looks more dragon than mortal. He grows older, and stronger, and his resemblance to his parent grows stronger. And when the time is right, he'll find a place to go, to be alone. He'll die there...and some hours later, a newborn dragon will dig its way out of his cooling corpse.

Concept the Second:
Dragonborn are born to mortal parents, without apparent rhyme or reason. Perhaps it's the influence of the heavens, or a norterly wind blowing at the time of their conception. There are many theories, but no answers.

These children suffer various fates, according to where they are born. Some communities have them killed outright, or abandoned in the wilderness. In other places, they are honored, or even worshipped.

They know the language of dragons, these children, without ever having been taught. They have powers that set them apart from the mortals around them. But it is their task to act as intermediaries between the Dragons and the lesser races....

Concept the Third:
The first age was the age of Dragons. They kept the mortal races as pets, and slaves, and created the Dragonborn to act as overseers and administrators.

But it was the Dragonborn who started the revolt against the dragons, and who led the "lesser" races to victory against their masters so many centuries ago....

The third idea is the simplest, but I'm currently most fond of the second. That's likely to change many times between now and the time I hold the new PHB in my hands, too.

All interesting. I plan on using them as travelers from a far-off lands that have integrated into civilization in the last 20 years or so (rare, strange, but not unheard of).

Of the three you mentioned, I think three has the most potential.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Bohemian Ear-Spork said:
Concept the Third:

I like the third idea best because it gives the dragonborn a heritage of pathos and betrayal.

But more importantly, Bohemian Ear-Spork is an awesome user name.

punkorange

First Post
I like the third best too. It makes the dragonborn a race rather than a hybrid. I would rather see half-elf, or half-orc, or half-whatever as a template than a main pc race.

Nathan P. Mahney

First Post
Bohemian Ear-Spork said:
Concept the Third:

Yoink! I already have this as the set-up for my current campaign world, with kobolds as the devolved descendents of the Dragon-servant race. Dragonborn will work perfectly as the non-devolved versions, I just need to reintroduce them somehow.

Sonny

Adventurer
Bohemian Ear-Spork said:
Concept the Third:

As with everyone else here, I really like the third concept, it's definitely a winner in my book. I just wonder if WOTC will come up with a dragonborn background as provocative as yours.

jtrowell

First Post
What if dragoborn is just the name some lizardfolks give to themselves ?

Take a tribe of lizardmen, add the same legends about behing descended/affiliated to dragons that the kobolds use, tell that only some very rare legendary heroes/shaman/sorceres sometimes develop dragon-like abilities (wings, breath attack, and the like), and you have your race already existing in most campaign settings.

Lizardmen in 3.5 were generally neutral intelligent reptilian humanoids, but the level adjustement rules/racial hit dice made them poor player choices.

4th edition remove this problem, and by adding the same ideas already used on kobolds in 3.5, you can have your dragon-like PC without being a half-dragon, nor having suddenly a whoe race of dragon-cousins apprearing in all campaign settings.

In 3.5 you can already have with the correct prestiges classes or racial feats kobolds with wings or that breath fire, but that doesn't means that everybody that see a kobold, except other kobolds, think 'dragon-descended'.

Elphilm

Explorer
TarionzCousin said:
But more importantly, Bohemian Ear-Spork is an awesome user name.
True dat.

I actually like all of the concepts. Obviously, the third one is the best if you want to make the Dragonborn their own race. However, the other two concepts have a delightful fairytale atmosphere.

Yair

Community Supporter
I actually like the first idea. As an explanantion of dragon's breeding it is quite nice. Although I like the second one too - it feels very right, somehow, like linking dragons and the magic of the land. Reminds me of Eberrron.

I'm currently, based on the "points-of-light" idea, thinking of having the setting be composed of a few isolated strongholds each housing only members of a single race. Each is typically ruled by a King, whose nature is in accordance with the inhabitatnt's. The human city's king will probably simply be a human paragon. The dragonborn's will probably be a god dragon or somesuch. And so on. That's how I intend to use them, currently.

Remove ads