• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dragonborn Pit Fighter; What class?

Herosmith14

First Post
So, I recently had a spark of inspiration to design a pit fighting organization (possibly a drag-drop module, we'll see) so I started designing NPCS (mainly fighters, but also a couple managers/organizers). One of these NPCs is a white dragonborn fighter named Kalandon.

Kalandon is going to be at least 8th level, strength based, and have the Dragon Hide and Dragon Fear feats. My only issue, what class should he be. For an organization like this, some obvious choices would be monk or barbarian, because of unarmored defense (it's a no arms, no armor, no magic sport), and respective martial arts and rage.

I don't really want to overrun the system with monks, plus Kalandon already has increased AC and unarmed strike damage via Dragon Hide. I'm also iffy on barbarian 'cause Ive already got another brawled, Kosh (lizardfolk beserker with the tavern brawler feat), who is a reptilian barbarian. I suppose there is Fighter, but one of the main features of that (fighting style) would not come into play at all, as they all rely on armor or weapons.

What do you guys think.

Quickleaf

Legend
What about a Rogue (Inquisitive)? People would whisper not to be fooled by Kalandon's languid demeanor, for he watches everything with "those dragon eyes of his." This nicely touches on the legendary action Detect that dragons get (reflected in Eye for Detail), and allows him to apply Sneak Attack damage in a 1-on-1 fight (thanks to Insightful Fighting). I could see him having a reputation as a killing machine in the Pit, but he's a lot more clever than he lets on, and is looking for a way out of indentured servitude or debt, or to take his revenge on a particular high-up who frequents the Pit games.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I know that you don't want a barbarian, however, I suggest that it be a fire-breathing Dragonborn barbarian named Grimlock. Choose whichever subclass would make him the toughest.

What about a Rogue (Inquisitive)? People would whisper not to be fooled by Kalandon's languid demeanor, for he watches everything with "those dragon eyes of his." This nicely touches on the legendary action Detect that dragons get (reflected in Eye for Detail), and allows him to apply Sneak Attack damage in a 1-on-1 fight (thanks to Insightful Fighting). I could see him having a reputation as a killing machine in the Pit, but he's a lot more clever than he lets on, and is looking for a way out of indentured servitude or debt, or to take his revenge on a particular high-up who frequents the Pit games.
I don't think that Insightful Fighting allows you to bypass the requirement of sneak Attack to use a Weapon with the Finesse property.

Quickleaf

Legend
I don't think that Insightful Fighting allows you to bypass the requirement of sneak Attack to use a Weapon with the Finesse property.

My assumption was that, since this is for a NPC, the OP would use creative license as DM, being "inspired by" a class, but not exactly copying it. Several NPCs in the MM & VOLO'S do exactly this. This is 5e, after all, not 3e.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
If you can use UA the Mariner Fighting Style works without Armor.

Edit: Also thematic if you choose one of the more water affiliated Dragon types.

D

dco

If you want a character class I would use the Battlemaster.
If you want to create it like any other monster I would give him a pair of attacks and 2-3 maneuvers or special powers, those powers could affect the public, for example parries, feints, more stregth or a resurrection with public acclamation, etc.

I would go the second option, pick the gladiator stats from the monster manual, change a pair of stats for each fighter or you could do it on the run, create 5-10 special attacks or actions(read the bestiary and the classes for inspiration) and give 1-4 different to each fighter (the gladiator has parry, shield bash, brute and brave). If you add different weapons you can have a lot of distinct fighters easily.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
There are so many options that D&D forbids because they errata'd unarmed attack off the weapon table. Once you aren't attacking with a melee weapon attack, you lose so much. Paladins can't smite, etc.

That really limits your choice.

Remove ads