• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonborn, Wintertouched & Lasting Frost

Zurai

First Post
MarkChevallier said:
A frost weapon does explicitly give the cold keyword to your attacks:

p226, PHB: "When you use a magic item as part of a racial power or a class power, the keywords of the item’s power and the other power all apply."
Ahhhh. Makes sense. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I like this feat pairing. It's essentially +2 attack +5 damage after you nail a target with that opening cold attack, so it gets really good when you add more attacks/targets; rogue isn't really the best choice. What you want is dragonborn ranger with cold weapons, or dragonborn wizard with cold AOE spells...

And the "vulnerable cold" keeps going until the end of your next turn, so this is one of those combos that really shines when you spend an action point.

Incenjucar

Legend
This would be why I refer to this as the Killer Cold Combo.

These two feats, especially in combination, are incredibly abusable, especially if everyone has a Frost Dagger or something on hand to strike with when you have one of those "Feather Me Yon Oaf" style powers in play.

My guess is that they wanted to use feats like this to differentiate between damage types, but it seems they didn't want to put all of the "Elemental Flavor Feats" or whathaveyou in the same book.

Incendax

First Post
Surgoshan said:
If the party deliberately self-optimizes in that way, the DM could easily fix it by throwing frosty mobs at them.

No, he can't.
Adding frost resistance to enemies does not cancel out the Frost Vulnerability that Lasting Frost applies. Yes, the extra damage does get mitigated, but even a creature with Frost Resistance 800 would still have Combat Advantage inflicted upon him.

This combo was pretty well discussed over in the wizards Character Optimization forums, so check there for further information. However, I kinda like the term Killer Cold Combo.

I hoping that this is not off topic... so one Dragonborn in the party says "I breath on the rocks in front of the kobolds." As a DM do I impose a movement penalty to the monsters for the ice that has formed?

If he chose lightning as his breath weapon could he blast a pool of water hitting as many as are in the water?

As a DM, breath weapon is being used quite dynamically. ;)

MadMaligor

First Post
Ghaerdon Fain said:
I hoping that this is not off topic... so one Dragonborn in the party says "I breath on the rocks in front of the kobolds." As a DM do I impose a movement penalty to the monsters for the ice that has formed?

If he chose lightning as his breath weapon could he blast a pool of water hitting as many as are in the water?

Treat the first as Icy and difficult terrain as described in DMG pg 66. Require an acrobatics check or loose your balance (prone), x2 for all movement cost.

I would rule that the breath weapon has a depth range equal to its normal area of effect. I looked for some RAW but havent found a specific yet to describe AoE attacks as 3 dimensional, but its kinda a no brainer. The attacker would get to determine the shape of the cube unless the DM ruled otherwise.

*Edit - I want to qualify my statement to include that I would rule the Lightning breath becomes a close AoE rather than a blast in this instance. I was thinking it I just forgot to write it hehehe*

Last edited:

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Ghaerdon Fain said:
Given that it is outside the scope of the power being used, and that giving it any extra effect other than damage to multiple foes would unbalance it and make it more powerful than intended, I would rule that nothing happens.

The cold evaporates too quickly to form ice and the lightning is all AC no DC :)

Ahglock

First Post
Ghaerdon Fain said:

By the rules, nothing happens.

I'd make specifically targeted areas as icy/difficult terrain. Ground just caught in the area of a normal breath weapon used for attack, would get nothing. But, I like players trying to use there powers creatively.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads