• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance 4e in 2010?

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Oh great, another setting is getting butchered.
Especially DL doesn't really work with 4E as it has a civilized, if slightly ravaged from war, society and doesn't focus so much on superawesomeheroes with uberleet powerz.

Yeah, not like that lame-ass setting with that God-killer Raistlin or dragon riding army led by his sister or their brother who travelled through time and saved the universe or...

...sorry, what was your point again?

Lord Xtheth

First Post
Just compare the first books with some FR books, like the ones about Drizzt. While Drizzt goes around slaying dragons, drow matrons and devils with his incredible sword skill, the heroes of the lance barely manage to kill a dragon with losses on their side, loose several members of their group during the adventure, either through natural causes or enemies and even at the end of the adventure are not above hiding behind a desk to have cover from a fireball.

Poor Writing does not equil low power setting :p

thundershot

Adventurer
Ugh. Why another "normal" setting? I want something vastly different... Bring on Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Planescape, or Ravenloft (though RL is supposedly folding into core now). Still...

cangrejoide

First Post
Dragonlance always was a low powered setting, but low powered and the 4E power system doesn't mix.

So you keep saying.

But I think that is for the rest of us to decide.

I've been running my own homebrew setting ( a very low magic setting) with 4E and it has had a very good run so far. I must be doing it wrong.

As for DL being for 2010, I really doubt it. The next books will focus on psionics so I think Dark Sun maybe a better fit.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Another rendition of a tired campaign setting? Yawn. I'm with Thundershot on this one. I want to see something different, even if it is a retread of an old setting that isn't the same Tolkien-ish fantasy.

The worst part is that I'll still likely pick up the new Dragonlance. One thing I'll say about the setting, they had some interesting races running about in it.

Ginnel

Explorer
Ugh. Why another "normal" setting? I want something vastly different... Bring on Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Planescape, or Ravenloft (though RL is supposedly folding into core now). Still...
Agreed bog standard fantasy is covered by FR, a low powered bog standard fantasy shouldn't appear till 2011-2012 at least.

Gimmie another planescape, with detailed cities and states and politics, not another 4e Forgotten realms campaign setting book which to my mind was a bunch of simple plot hooks for adventures.

JeffB

Legend
I sure hope they do a better job than they did with the 3E DLCS- that was the most uninspiring campaign setting book Ive ever owned.

Dausuul

Legend
I've never been much of a fan of Dragonlance as a D&D setting, but I'm curious to see what they do with it. At least they won't have to worry about how to fit dragonborn into the setting.

Of course, as far as I'm concerned, Dragonlance concluded with the end of the Legends trilogy; there was no Chaos War and there most definitely was no War of Souls.

occam

Adventurer
The wilderness wasn't untamed and full of monsters so that no one dared to venture out of the village. Instead you had had tyrants who ruled over the land, but the land itself was rather safe.

Wow, I don't remember it that way at all. It seemed to me that traveling through the wilderness was pretty dangerous. And there was A LOT of wilderness. Take a look at a map of Ansalon. There are some scattered cities, city-states even, with enormous tracts of virtually unsettled land between, hundreds of miles across.

Remove ads