Dragonlance Dragonlance Brings New Options to D&D

As expected, Wizards Presents had Dragonlance announcements, starting with a release date – December 6, 2022 – and players will have several choices as to which Dragonlance product they buy. Like other adventures, Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen, will have two editions: a mass market edition with a cover by Cynthia Sheppard, and an alternative cover edition featuring Lord Soth, only...

As expected, Wizards Presents had Dragonlance announcements, starting with a release date – December 6, 2022 – and players will have several choices as to which Dragonlance product they buy.

Dragonlance - TRPG Standard Cover (Front) – Art by Cynthia Sheppard. .png

Like other adventures, Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen, will have two editions: a mass market edition with a cover by Cynthia Sheppard, and an alternative cover edition featuring Lord Soth, only available through game stores. That latter cover, with art by Chase Stone, almost makes his helmet look three dimensional. The 224-page adventure will take players from 1st to 11th level.

Dragonlance - TRPG Alt Cover (Front) – Art by Chase Stone.png

Another of the new purchase options is one fans have been clamoring for – bundles of the physical book and a digital copy through D&D Beyond. Those who pre-order the bundle will get their digital copy on November 22, two weeks before the physical book is available. Unfortunately, the digital/book bundle only applies to the standard cover so if you buy alternative covers through your local game store, a digital bundle isn't available.

Dragonlance - Standard Bundle.png

Additionally, WotC is offering Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen Deluxe Edition, which includes:
  • The physical book (Cover by Antonio Jose Manzanedo and Anato Finnstark)
  • The digital book via D&D Beyond
  • The board game Dragonlance: Warriors of Krynn
  • A DM screen
The deluxe edition will cost $154.98 and includes free shipping for the U.S., UK, France, and Germany.

Dragonlance Deluxe Edition – Outer Box – Art by Antonio José Manzanedo.png

Dragonlance is really D&D's setting for war, for massive conflicts, for these worldwide, sweeping, world-changing battles” Wes Schneider, Senior Game Designer for D&D and project lead for Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen, said at a press event on August 16. “In this adventure, we're going to take players back to the storied War of the Lance where the forces of the infamous Tiamat, or Takhisis as she is known in Krynn, is marching her armies of evil dragons and draconian dragon folks and other evil humanoids against the people of Krynn, trying to take over the world.”

329834 – ch 1 opener – Art by Kieran Yanner.png

“In this adventure we're going to see the dragon army's incursion into Solamnia, which is a land of knights and heroes. The players will find themselves at the forefront of this battle in the defense of Solmnia against this evil wave of tyranny,” continued Schneider. “It's not just the fate of a town, it's not just the fate of your pocketbook. It's the fate of the entire world at stake in this.”

329847 – ch 2 opener – Art by Evyn Fong.png

Kate Irwin, Principal Art Director for D&D, then talked about demonstrating the expanse of Dragonlance to life through the artwork.

329862 – ch 4 opener – Art by Daarken.png

“It's not just plucky band of adventurers going off to do something,” said irwin. “The stakes are very high. So when we were talking about art for this, we asked how do we show that epic expanse of what can happen. Our chapter openers are always a big flashy part of the book so in this case instead of doing a single page piece of art, we're doing a double page piece of art. The artists who are doing the chapter openers were able to focus then on some personal stories and also that great, big expanse of war and see how this is different from other books.”

“We took aspiration from movies and famous photographs from World War I and World War II. The dragon where the adventurers are on top of the dragon was kind of inspired by 'oh, we captured a tank and now we're taking a picture with a tank'.”

329908 – Kansaldi on Dragon – Art by Katerina Ladon.png

“Another thing you don't often see in D&D stories is people riding dragons, partnering with dragons,” added Irwin while talking about what makes Dragonlance different. DLSotDQ features several images of dragon riders, sometimes leading armies.

329972 – Lord Soth on Death Dragon – Art by Kieran Yanner.png

When talking about a piece of art featuring knights from early in the adventure Irwin said, “I think there's something really relatable even though it's showing this big epic. Like I said, we were taking inspiration from movies like Saving Private Ryan or 1917 where you are involved in the characters that are in the movie, but you're also involved in feeling like a part of something so much bigger.”

That aesthetic ties into the design created by Bree Heiss, Art Director for D&D, for the board game, Dragonlance: Warriors of Krynn. “That Dragonlance through line, that small group fighting against the odds in a world at war is present in the board game, as well.”

For groups playing both the TTRPG and the board game, there will be places where you can switch from RPG to board game to play out a battle and then go back to the RPG. The board game comes with a few “plucky allies” that players can choose, and one such ally is especially dear to Heiss.

“I'm a huge Dragonlance fan, in case that isn't obvious, and I always imagined myself as a Knight of the Rose and I got to, as we were making the figures for the game, I got to have a little bit of input,” said Heiss, “and we wanted our Solamnic knight to be maximum tall, like [Game of Thrones'] Brianne of Tarth, so strong and so big, and I'm so ready to play this. The horns on her helm, she would place [in real life] at 6'5”, 6'7” – she's gonna stomp.”

Iconic Dragonlance villain Lord Soth appears in the adventure, riding a Death Dragon, a new type of undead dragon. Schneider commented that even if people don't know Lord Soth from dozens of stories and adventures that they know him from the Monster Manual.

“Lord Soth is D&D's iconic Death Knight, and when we knew we were returning to the world of Krynn and the Dragonlance campaign setting, we knew we had to have one of D&D's most famous villains central to the threat,” said Schneider.

329899 – Captain Hask – Art by David Sladek.png

Draconians were also re-conceptualized for DLSotDQ to clearly distinguish them from dragonborn and other bipedal lizards in D&D. It also plays up the fact that in Dragonlance evil chromatic dragons have been stealing metallic dragon eggs, manipulating them with magic, and turning them into Takhisis' evil foot soldiers. This has both weakened the forces of good and made the adult good dragons hesitate because they'd be fighting their own children.

Warriors Of Krynn Box inside Deluxe (front) – Box Art by Dominik Mayer.png

DLSotDQ also contains a gazetteer. The focus is on eastern Solamnia, though, so don't expect a deep dive into Krynn. A poster map also comes with the book. DLSotDQ is a complete story, not beholden to the novels or prior adventures. Schneider compared it to the new Star Wars TV shows in that you know the beloved heroes are out there doing things but DLSotDQ focuses on different characters in a different region.

Warriors of Krynn inside Deluxe (back) – Box Art by Dominik Mayer.png

DLSotDQ and DLWoK fall “very early in the War of the Lance, early into the invasion of western Solamnia,”said Schneider. “Stories have been told about the major offenses from the middle of the continent further to the west. This is a new story about the very first launch the red dragon army does into Solamnia, an early forey with specific plots and goals to bring a devastating weapon to bear.”

“You're getting not just this massive, epic, D&D narrative adventure in the RPG experience but you also have the Warriors of Krynn board game... and they're meant to weave in and out of each other,” said Schneider.

Schneider then clarified that if you play both, you can take your RPG characters to the board game and then back to the RPG. “Warriors of Krynn isn't your usual moving units and strategy. This is more of a strategy game that focuses on those elements but from a D&D perspective. You're still playing your characters, around the edges of battle, doing what's important to turn the tide of battle, all of the little things that thousands of lives might be riding on. And then once you've played that out you can then take that result back to [Shadow of the Dragon Queen] and have that result affect how your RPG continues.”

However, you do not need DLWoK to play DLSotDQ and vice versa. DLWoK can be played independently from the RPG DLSotDQ. Similarly, if you only want to play the TTRPG, it has instructions on how to handle the battles instead of switching to the board game.

Miniatures that come with DLWoK are the same scale as conventional miniatures, such as WizKids minis. So if you want to use the exact mini for your character while playing the RPG you can bring it right to the board game. The board game also comes with six hero miniatures you can use while playing if you don't have your own minis.

Choices that you make in DLWoK will carry through, but it's not a legacy board game. No cards or such are torn up or removed, but what you do in the board game affects the RPG if you're playing both.

Dragonlance: Warriors of Krynn is a cooperative board game designed by Rob Daviau and Stephen Baker. Back in April at D&D Direct, when asked if DLWoK could be used to stage large-scale battles in other iconic D&D settings, Ray Winninger, Executive Producer of Dungeons & Dragons, said yes, adding that if it does well they'll consider customized versions for other settings.

Pre-orders for the bundles can be placed through dndstore.wizards.com.

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The bringing back of the true dead religion because of some metal plates, the Cataclysm is based on the Great Apostasy from Mormon theology, the Native American influence, the whole balance between good and evil (a core part of Mormon beliefs is that good can only exist because of evil, and Dragonlance very much promotes the balance between good and evil), et cetera. Trust me, I grew up Mormon. I recognize the connections.

The Dragonlance Wiki makes it seem like it is, and as far as I know, there's no example of an intelligent Gully Dwarf in the fiction. If it truly was cultural, then there would be an example in the fiction of it just being a culture. If there isn't, then it's logical to assume that it's genetic.

Because turning a real-world culture of people into a joke race is a bad idea.
Since there's no evidence either way, wouldn't you prefer to assume cultural is ascendant? Why assume the most negative conclusion?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Since there's no evidence either way, wouldn't you prefer to assume cultural is ascendant? Why assume the most negative conclusion?
The Dragonlance wiki claims that the smartest of the Gully Dwarves rules them, and even their most intelligent are incapable of counting beyond 1. And weren't they created by the Greygem just like the Kender? That would point at it being genetic, wouldn't it.

And why assume the "most negative conclusion"? Because similar parts of Dragonlance do. Tinker Gnomes and Kender are magically cursed to be the way they are.

No, because "we" refers to me, @AcererakTriple6 and others who have already stated their personal opinions. I'm sorry you don't like it that more than one person has stated something here, and I'm sorry you don't like the fact that people listen to the opinions of other people, but that's just life.
Your personal opinion is as important as the opinion of anyone else. Including me. That I love the books or that you hate them is irrelevant. Saying do not read that book is censorship.

Morbius isn't censored just because I heard it was a crap movie and therefore I have no interest in seeing it. Maybe it is secretly the best movie of all time, but I have finite time, I cannot watch every movie that has ever been released to "decide for myself" what is good or not. I have to pick and choose, and when I hear a bunch of people say it is crap, I'm not going to go out of my way to watch it and see if they are right. And again, that's not censorship, it never has been censorship.
You should watch it. Not a great movie, but far from being the worst ever. And I watched simply because others said it was crap. I went out of my way to see if they were right. They were not that off the mark, but the movie isn't as bad as some make it appear to be. And this is exactly what censorship is about. If you follow blindly those that say "DON'T" then censorship IS showing its ugly head.

Nothing "stays in the domain of fantasy".

The Lord of the Rings didn't come about out of thin air, it was partially created because of Tolkien's experiences in the war, and speaks, softly perhaps, to those experiences.

The Greek Myth about the Minotaur isn't just about a bull-man who was killed by a hero-king, but we are pretty sure it speaks to the geo-political situation between early greek city-states and the Minoan Empire.

You can't wall it off. You can't say "this is fiction, this is fantasy, it has zero connections to the real world". And that's not always a bad thing, but you can't escape it by closing your eyes, plugging your ears, and repeating the mantra. This has never been the case, and it never will be the case as long as we write things which can affect others. Which is the goal of all writing, and especially the goal of fiction.
Of course the real world has an impact on what a human will write. Most of the time, this is an unconscious process. As one of the author of DL is Mormon, it is absolutely normal that some of the Mormon's way will show. Just like a Buddhist might have some Buddhists element in his/her writing. It does not mean that this was its goal. Hickman admitting that his Mormon's heritage influences him in his writings does not mean that he sought to convert the readers to his religion. Being inspired and actively making propaganda for something can look alike, but they ain't.

Knowing this, unless the author is actively seeking to promote something, correlation of fictional works with real life event/person/groups is dubious to make at best and malicious at worst. Usually, if an author wants to promote something, it will not be in a work of fiction but in a political treatise or an essay. Yes, in fiction it might be tempting to make associations, but the vast majority of time, it is only inspiration and not a malicious intent from the author. Those that do this kind of malicious correlations to degrade things/people/culture simply do not sell books. It shows too much.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Your personal opinion is as important as the opinion of anyone else. Including me. That I love the books or that you hate them is irrelevant. Saying do not read that book is censorship.
That's not what censorship is. Censorship is making the books unavailable to be read. It's not simply telling someone not to read them. If I tell someone that I don't like the Twilight movies and that they shouldn't watch them, I'm not censoring the movie, I'm just not recommending the movie.

Chaosmancer

Legend
And before you point it out, if your idea is something that a lot of people will associate wrong and be upset by, you should tweak your idea ;) So yeah, Gully Dwarves were probably ok 40 years ago, but I would expect a revision in the new setting.

I'm not trying to reach an unanimous consensus, that was always impossible and it will always be impossible. But that bolded part? That was the point. It might have been okay (or not okay) 40 years ago, but it clearly needs a revision. They can not port it over whole cloth without it being a problem for the reboot.

Expressing that is not censorship.
Expressing that is not the death knell of art.

It is literally the most basic beginning step of a reboot. Go through, look at the most contreversial elements, and reevaluate them. Question what you wrote before, and decide whether or not it needs changed.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Are you sure that's saying what you think it does? Writing his "faith" about things like "brotherhood, cultural divides, and bridging differences" and "seeking salvation and returning to your creator and home" doesn't sound particularly earthshattering, or out in left field. Like, don't all religions believe in this in one way or another? And wouldn't any author with any kind of strong faith bring their background, learnings, and leanings into their writing? How could you not? I mean, as an author, you usually write what you know, and your totality of experience informs what and how you write. I don't get it.

I started reading the bible, since I never had. Good thing no one is trying to write the bible today...

As others have said, if you don't like it, fine, don't buy it. But you also don't need to come into the same thread over and over and tell us how you don't like it. We get it. Or should I say, I get it.

As I said before, as a family member of someone with Down's, I never made or saw the connection some here do, and I'm sensitive to it. I read the books, enjoyed them, but the writing style doesn't hold up for me. That, and I can't stand Tasslehof, so I'll skip new stuff that includes him.

I would certainly not say it is a problem if an author writes based on their faith. We all write based on our belief systems in one way or another, and that makes for amazing art.

However, if you want to argue that an author's writing has absolutely nothing to do with the real-world, and that author states "What I do for a living and what I believe are one and the same thing. I don't differentiate between my work and my faith.." Then you have a heck of a hill to climb, because the author himself is saying you are wrong.

I personally don't care if Dragon Lance is a thinly veiled treatise in support of Mormonism or if it simply draws on themes of good and evil that are universal. I know a lot of people do care, but after a specific interaction with a specific piece of media, I think that mostly traces back to most heavily obvious religiously themed media of recent years being... bad. Like really trash-tier bad.

I was reading a webcomic that took a sudden VERY blatant VERY christian turn and it made me VERY uncomfortable. The story hadn't hinted at anything like that before, but suddenly realizing I was reading something VERY christian freaked me out for a few minutes. But then I stopped and considered why, and I realized that I mostly associate Christian media with very poorly written materials. And I don't think that is controversial to say if you are familiar with certain "We are Christian" media companies. But, when I looked beyond that, to older works still based in christian thought and allegory... those works were really good and I enjoyed them. So I continued reading the very excellent webcomic

I remember enjoying Dragon Lance back when I read them. I won't say whether or not they are good, because after going back and re-reading Maximum Ride as an Adult, I realize now that child me was an idiot who didn't know what good quality was. Or who forgave a lot of mistakes. But Dragonlance was well-written and so I don't think it falls into the trap that has many of us cringe at openly religious writings. But I can see how it would worry some people.

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
Saying do not read that book is censorship.

No it isn't.

Going to the wikipedia page: "Censorship can be conducted by governments, private institutions and other controlling bodies."

I am not the government.
I am not a private institution.
I am not a controlling body.

I am an individual. Even if me and six other people got together and all sent letters to Weiss and Hickman... it still isnt' censorship, because we are not a large enough body to have any pressure to apply.

You keep making this claim about censorship which is WILDLY out of step with the definition of the word, which if your goal is to reduce censorship is counter-productive, as now you are trying to compel speech and say that individuals are not allowed to tell other individuals not to do something.

You should watch it. Not a great movie, but far from being the worst ever. And I watched simply because others said it was crap. I went out of my way to see if they were right. They were not that off the mark, but the movie isn't as bad as some make it appear to be. And this is exactly what censorship is about. If you follow blindly those that say "DON'T" then censorship IS showing its ugly head.

I don't have time to go and watch a bad movie just to pat myself on the back about how I'm "judging for myself" I have plenty of GOOD movies I haven't had time to watch.

Again, this isn't censorship. It is review and criticism. These are not the same thing.

Of course the real world has an impact on what a human will write. Most of the time, this is an unconscious process. As one of the author of DL is Mormon, it is absolutely normal that some of the Mormon's way will show. Just like a Buddhist might have some Buddhists element in his/her writing. It does not mean that this was its goal. Hickman admitting that his Mormon's heritage influences him in his writings does not mean that he sought to convert the readers to his religion. Being inspired and actively making propaganda for something can look alike, but they ain't.

Knowing this, unless the author is actively seeking to promote something, correlation of fictional works with real life event/person/groups is dubious to make at best and malicious at worst. Usually, if an author wants to promote something, it will not be in a work of fiction but in a political treatise or an essay. Yes, in fiction it might be tempting to make associations, but the vast majority of time, it is only inspiration and not a malicious intent from the author. Those that do this kind of malicious correlations to degrade things/people/culture simply do not sell books. It shows too much.

The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind? Those books get VERY explicit about his promotion of ideas. Twenty-Two books and a movie adaptation?

But, this?

"unless the author is actively seeking to promote something, correlation of fictional works with real life event/person/groups is dubious to make at best and malicious at worst."

This is wrong. Unconscious bias exists. And calling it out is a GOOD thing. Because if the author is listening that means that they can make informed choices and write better. I've uncovered unconcious bias in my own work. I know what it is like, I know that I need to improve my writing and not allow these easy ruts to guide me to tired and bad ideas. Following those ruts on purpose is very different, because it is a choice.

And of course, there is the difference to being ignorant of something and being WILLFULLY ignorant of something.

mamba

Legend
The bringing back of the true dead religion because of some metal plates,
I granted that for the sake of the argument already ;)
the Cataclysm is based on the Great Apostasy from Mormon theology
according to Google, the closest relation is basically the gods leaving mankind alone.

“And [people] shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it.””

ok, I can see that, but this is certainly not unique to Mormonism
the Native American influence
really ? These are based on the actual native Americans, not the Mormon version of them (i.e. Iraelites who somehow managed to make it to America, which are much more middle-east inspired and e.g. have chariots), so clearly not Mormon inspired, quite the contrary

The Dragonlance Wiki makes it seem like it is, and as far as I know, there's no example of an intelligent Gully Dwarf in the fiction. If it truly was cultural, then there would be an example in the fiction of it just being a culture.
no idea how many occurrences there are, I only know of the ones in Chronicles (and Legends, but that are the same individuals).

Also, if any encounter with anumeric tribes describes them as anumeric, it still is not genetic…

Insulting other members
That's not what censorship is. Censorship is making the books unavailable to be read. It's not simply telling someone not to read them. If I tell someone that I don't like the Twilight movies and that they shouldn't watch them, I'm not censoring the movie, I'm just not recommending the movie.
First step: Say that something is problematic. Talk about it.
Second step: Ask for something to be changed, ignored or rewritten.
Third step: Encourage people not to go see, read or watch the problematic thing.
Fourth step: Remove entirely or silence the author or put him/her in prison.
Fifth step: Prevent something like this to be ever done again. (Here measures can be extremes as to execute the person or put a price on his/her head if you can't do it yourself.)

More or less what we see in Mein Kempf, 1984 and so many others.

No it isn't.

Going to the wikipedia page: "Censorship can be conducted by governments, private institutions and other controlling bodies."

I am not the government.
I am not a private institution.
I am not a controlling body.

I am an individual. Even if me and six other people got together and all sent letters to Weiss and Hickman... it still isnt' censorship, because we are not a large enough body to have any pressure to apply.

You keep making this claim about censorship which is WILDLY out of step with the definition of the word, which if your goal is to reduce censorship is counter-productive, as now you are trying to compel speech and say that individuals are not allowed to tell other individuals not to do something.

I don't have time to go and watch a bad movie just to pat myself on the back about how I'm "judging for myself" I have plenty of GOOD movies I haven't had time to watch.

Again, this isn't censorship. It is review and criticism. These are not the same thing.

The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind? Those books get VERY explicit about his promotion of ideas. Twenty-Two books and a movie adaptation?

But, this?

"unless the author is actively seeking to promote something, correlation of fictional works with real life event/person/groups is dubious to make at best and malicious at worst."

This is wrong. Unconscious bias exists. And calling it out is a GOOD thing. Because if the author is listening that means that they can make informed choices and write better. I've uncovered unconcious bias in my own work. I know what it is like, I know that I need to improve my writing and not allow these easy ruts to guide me to tired and bad ideas. Following those ruts on purpose is very different, because it is a choice.

And of course, there is the difference to being ignorant of something and being WILLFULLY ignorant of something.
Read my reply to @AcererakTriple6.
You are at step 2.
You do not need to be yet a private institution. Simply starting step one and two might lead to censorship if you are convincing enough. Angry Mother movement almost destroyed D&D in my area during the Satanic Panic. It all started with only one misguided voice that was seeing something that was not. But she was convincing enough to convince a lot of people. Becoming a full private group with political reach is something that can be done. It has been done and it will be done over and over and over again.

Democracy needs the discordant voices to be truly a democracy. Without them, it is so easy to fall into totalitarianism...
That this is something to feared above all else.

Remove ads

Remove ads