• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance Covers (Warning - Big Images)

Vocenoctum

First Post
Stormprince said:
All in all, it's a flavor thing. Just as sea shells or coins threaded along strings have represented wealth in other times and places here on earth, in Ansalon, steel coins (whatever their ration of "steel" is) represent a certain amount of monetary value in trade goods. Remember, you're not only purchasing the material in the weapon (such as using steel coins to pay for a steel blade), but you're also paying the craftsman or merchant a portion of the profits as well...which is why it takes 15 steel pieces to buy a 4 lbs. steel sword...

Christopher

Right, it's a flavor thing, but it's still silly :)
If Dragonlance went to the Seashell standard, I'd also call that silly.

If a 1e Steel Piece (1/10th of a pound) was equal to a silver piece, maybe it'd work, but with 3e being 50 coins to a pound, that 15steel pieces isn't even a half pound of steel for the 4 pound longsword, not including construction.

And since creating the sword costs half (so 7.5 steel pieces) the weaponsmith is actually quite the magician :)

But, I agree, it's all for flavor so it really doesn't matter. And, it really only conflicts when buying metal weapons and such.

I still call it Silly though :)

talinthas

First Post
Question for ya, Stormprince. We know that in 3.5e, the gnome favored class is bard. In DL, however, gnomes are often tinkers/thinkers. Given that you said you only added one base class (the mystic), how will tinkers be represented, or are gnomes gonna be bards here as well?

Also, will the post WoS era, and the fact that anyone can be a mystic or sorceror, allow gnomes and dwarves and kender to become casters?

Stormprince

First Post
talinthas said:
Question for ya, Stormprince. We know that in 3.5e, the gnome favored class is bard. In DL, however, gnomes are often tinkers/thinkers. Given that you said you only added one base class (the mystic), how will tinkers be represented, or are gnomes gonna be bards here as well?

Also, will the post WoS era, and the fact that anyone can be a mystic or sorceror, allow gnomes and dwarves and kender to become casters?

As Krynn's gnomes are different from "typical" gnomes, no Bard is not their favored class, nor is Illusionist...and that's all I can really say on that for the moment ;)

Yes, gnomes, dwarves, and kender can become spellcasters.

Christopher

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Stormprince said:
Yes, gnomes, dwarves, and kender can become spellcasters.

Christopher

I recently had a discussion about this on the Wizard's Dragonlance boards. From everything I have ever read in DL sourcebooks, Kender cannot be wizards and I really really doubt that the Wizards of High Sorcery would allow a Kender to go around casting spells.

I admit that my games are all 4th age (post War of the Lance) and that the 5th age may be different, but surely Kender are not going to be wizards or sorcerers are they?

Looking forward to the new books, keep them coming. :)

Stormprince

First Post
DragonLancer said:

I recently had a discussion about this on the Wizard's Dragonlance boards. From everything I have ever read in DL sourcebooks, Kender cannot be wizards and I really really doubt that the Wizards of High Sorcery would allow a Kender to go around casting spells.

I admit that my games are all 4th age (post War of the Lance) and that the 5th age may be different, but surely Kender are not going to be wizards or sorcerers are they?

Looking forward to the new books, keep them coming. :)

Well...*grins crookedly* See, that's one of the things I can't really go into too much detail on, as it's in the WotC book...there is a special rule about Kender wizards, which makes it slightly more difficult for them to cast arcane magic...

In the 5th Age, any one could potentially use mysticism or sorcery...so, looking at that, we tweaked things slightly...

As for Kenders joining the Orders of High Sorcery...that will be up to the Orders, once they are reestablished.

Christopher

Illithidbix

Explorer
Exits lurker mode

Out of curiosity has there been any influence/inspiration from the (in)famous Kencyclopedia? Either in rules or background behind the Kenders (and the Gnomes etc), is our favourite race of kleptomaniatic midgets given any special treatment (besides chucked into Jail then released outside the city walls the next day)?

For example, are Handlers just treated as rogues or do they get a special prestige class? (Because everyone knows that Kenders think stealing is wrong…)

Umm, small point, but just how big is the Dragonlance Campaign Setting book? I’ve seen 240 pages mentioned somewhere but everywhere else says 320… are their any worries of crippling postal workers?

And is everything on schedule as far as release dates are concerned (e.g 1st of August)? Will other countries (namely the UK) have to wait long for shipping? Or is that a clerical issue... which is going to cause problems if the gods have buggered off..

Stormprince

First Post
Illithidbix said:
Exits lurker mode

Out of curiosity has there been any influence/inspiration from the (in)famous Kencyclopedia? Either in rules or background behind the Kenders (and the Gnomes etc), is our favourite race of kleptomaniatic midgets given any special treatment (besides chucked into Jail then released outside the city walls the next day)?

For example, are Handlers just treated as rogues or do they get a special prestige class? (Because everyone knows that Kenders think stealing is wrong…)

Umm, small point, but just how big is the Dragonlance Campaign Setting book? I’ve seen 240 pages mentioned somewhere but everywhere else says 320… are their any worries of crippling postal workers?

And is everything on schedule as far as release dates are concerned (e.g 1st of August)? Will other countries (namely the UK) have to wait long for shipping? Or is that a clerical issue... which is going to cause problems if the gods have buggered off..

Woo, lots of questions here....let's see...

Kender: For the DLCS, I wrote the kender section...so anything there you can actually blame utterly and completely on me (and the editors at WotC). I'm actually one of those annoying people that have always loved kender, so although I didn't access Sean MacDonald's brilliant Kencyclopedia for my work, I do acknowledge that he is one of the foremost experts on kender and greatly respect the sheer amount of love that he's put into his project...actually, I'll be talking with him pretty soon about some work he did do relating to kender... ;)

Although this book, last we checked, was 320 pages long, there just was not enough room to put everything that we really wanted to into it...so there aren't any racial-specific prestige classes...those, instead, will be addressed in a different book...the Races of Krynn, along with Handlers, Tinkers, the Kirath, etc.

As far as I am aware, everything is still defintely on track for August 1st release...the DLCS is a WotC product, and their UK distribution is done through Esdevium, so it should be out on time...we also distribute through Esdevium, as well as a few other distributors, so it's all gold (er...steel?)! :)

They'll be shipping straight to distributors as soon as they are off the presses, so it's all in the hands of the shippers after that...and your local game store :)

Christopher

Snifferdoo

First Post
Originally posted by Illithidbix

Originally posted by Stormprince

Kender: For the DLCS, I wrote the kender section...so anything there you can actually blame utterly and completely on me (and the editors at WotC). I'm actually one of those annoying people that have always loved kender, so although I didn't access Sean MacDonald's brilliant Kencyclopedia for my work, I do acknowledge that he is one of the foremost experts on kender and greatly respect the sheer amount of love that he's put into his project...actually, I'll be talking with him pretty soon about some work he did do relating to kender... ;)
Christopher

Ooooo my pointed ears are burning. :D Thanks for all the praise Chris!

And as far as kender wizards go. I have a theory on why it has always been thought that kender could not cast spells. It was a nasty rumor started by the Wizards of High Sorcery to prevent us kender from learning magic! But the kender is out of the bag and nothing can stop kender wizards now (excpet perhaps a point blank fireball exploding in their face quite by accident). If you want to read the full explanation of kender wizards you can find it here.

"Kender in 3E! That's even better than kender in 3D! Heh"

Last edited:

Remove ads