• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Dragonlance: Everything You Need For Shadow of the Dragon Queen

WotC has shared a video explaining the Dragonlance setting, and what to expect when it is released in December. World at War: Introduces war as a genre of play to fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons. Dragonlance: Introduces the Dragonlance setting with a focus on the War of the Lance and an overview of what players and DMs need to run adventures during this world spanning conflict. Heroes of...

WotC has shared a video explaining the Dragonlance setting, and what to expect when it is released in December.

World at War: Introduces war as a genre of play to fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons.

Dragonlance: Introduces the Dragonlance setting with a focus on the War of the Lance and an overview of what players and DMs need to run adventures during this world spanning conflict.

Heroes of War: Provides character creation rules highlighting core elements of the Dragonlance setting, including the kender race and new backgrounds for the Knight of Solamnia and Mage of High Sorcery magic-users. Also introduces the Lunar Sorcery sorcerer subclass with new spells that bind your character to Krynn's three mystical moons and imbues you with lunar magic.

Villains: Pits heroes against the infamous death knight Lord Soth and his army of draconians.

Notes --
  • 224 page hardcover adventure
  • D&D's setting for war
  • Set in eastern Solamnia
  • War is represented by context -- it's not goblins attacking the village, but evil forces; refugees, rumours
  • You can play anything from D&D - clerics included, although many classic D&D elements have been forgotten
  • Introductory scenarios bring you up to speed on the world so no prior research needed

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Quite frankly it doesn't matter at all. 350 years ago there was a large catastrophe, the world is slowly recovering, the end. The rest does not matter for the adventure, and arguably most of this doesn't either.
The setting didn't have to explain the Cataclysm. It just could have been a mystery, like Eberron. But it chose to explain it. That means that it's valid for us to judge the setting because of the morality of its explanation.

mamba

Legend
The setting didn't have to explain the Cataclysm. It just could have been a mystery, like Eberron. But it chose to explain it. That means that it's valid for us to judge the setting because of the morality of its explanation.
Aren't we basically reinventing and remodeling the setting anyway ? So why stop at orcs. This is even less of a remodeling (orcs...) than just leaving bits out

Also, if you don't like the setting, just don't play it. Feels like a perfectly valid solution

Quite frankly it doesn't matter at all. 350 years ago there was a large catastrophe, the world is slowly recovering, the end. The rest does not matter.
It might matter to the people who are being asked to restore their faith in the gods, when they might have good reason to feel as though the gods abandoned their ancestors three centuries ago, or even experienced it firsthand in the case of the longer-lived races.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
It might matter to the people who are being asked to restore their faith in the gods, when they might have good reason to feel as though the gods abandoned their ancestors three centuries ago.
Not if it is simply unexplained. Cataclysm happened, people are upset the gods did not prevent it and stopped following them. Now that Takhisis is coming knocking they are much more inclined to believe again when they stumble across the others.

Not saying they need to do this or anything, just that there is no reason to not meddle with this as well when they are revisiting things anyway

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Aren't we basically reinventing and remodeling the setting anyway ? So why stop at orcs. This is even less of a remodeling (orcs...) than just leaving bits out
. . . The reason I've been discussing this tangent is because I want the setting to change how the Cataclysm happened. Or to just not confirm how it happened, like Eberron.
Also, if you don't like the setting, just don't play it. Feels like a perfectly valid solution
As I've said before, I have complicated feelings about the setting. I like quite a bit of it, but I hate a lot of it, too. If the setting were to change to be updated to modern morals and to fix the major issues that I think the setting has, I might buy this book.

mamba

Legend
As I've said before, I have complicated feelings about the setting. I like quite a bit of it, but I hate a lot of it, too. If the setting were to change to be updated to modern morals and to fix the major issues that I think the setting has, I might buy this book.
you can also houserule this, if you have a plan on how this should work for you. No one said you can only opt orcs in or out ;)

mamba

Legend
Believing/knowing that the gods exist is not the same as believing that the gods are worthy of worship.
Pretty sure Takhisis can change your mind to at least giving it a try - and if not, oh well, no clerics then for your side / in your party. People were claiming they are not all that important in 5e anyway, so let's find out ;)

Remove ads

Remove ads