• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance trailer at Youtube at last!

Dm_from_Brazil

First Post
Ok, so this is no 4th Ed news...but still is great news.

The trailer for the Dragonlance upcoming animated movie - presented at GenCon and DragonCon - is now (finally) for evebody to see at Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHrOfJ8_D0o

It´s made from pre-production scenes, and brings a not-much-pleasant surprise at the end: a "Soon in DVD" label. Looks like we are not going to see DL in the big screen...

KingCrab

First Post
The animation did not look very impressive, but maybe it's just a grainy YouTube video.

I grew up on the dragonlance novels and used to read them once a year when I was a kid. It would be great if they did an impressive job with this, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

broghammerj

Explorer
AnonymousOne said:
Given the niche market, I don't see why you're surprised.

I always thought Dragonlance should have been the "real" DnD movie. If the timing had been well coordinated with the release of LotR, it may have been able to ride a few coattails.

That being said I am not sure I like the combination of animated art with computer art. It brings back scary memories of the original LotR cartoon. You have to go one way or the other. The combo never seems to mess well.

Dave Turner

First Post
I am underwhelmed by the quality of the animation. It reminds me of a low-budget Saturday morning cartoon. From what I could tell, the computer animation was also low-quality. Both types of animation didn't seem to blend well.

Pale

First Post
I'm coming away from that trailer feeling like I've just seen the animators from He-Man and Transformers: Beast Wars got together to make a Dragonlance cartoon.

It really does look like Saturday morning cartoon offerings.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Dave Turner said:
I am underwhelmed by the quality of the animation. It reminds me of a low-budget Saturday morning cartoon. From what I could tell, the computer animation was also low-quality. Both types of animation didn't seem to blend well.

Yeah, that really bugged me as well. I can accept cheap animation, and I don't mind poor CGI. But poor CGI mixed with cheap animation? That's worse than the sum of its parts.

Looks like this will be fairly low on my Netflix cue.

Remove ads