Dragonriders of Pern "society"- anyone recall?

TheSword

Legend
Wow, this takes me back. Dragon’s Dawn (the prequel about the colonists arriving on Pern in the distant past) was the first first SF book I ever read and I believe the first SF book my dad ever bought for me to read myself - at the tender age of 11. I remember thinking it was amazing. He is a big SF fan.

There is something about the mystery, the dessert island excitement of a new colony, combined with the what-the-hell-is-going-on of the thread fall was a great combination. I seriously suggest folks read this book first, then move on to full sized dragons.

michaeljpastor

Adventurer
Wow, this takes me back. Dragon’s Dawn (the prequel about the colonists arriving on Pern in the distant past) was the first first SF book I ever read and I believe the first SF book my dad ever bought for me to read myself - at the tender age of 11. I remember thinking it was amazing. He is a big SF fan.

There is something about the mystery, the dessert island excitement of a new colony, combined with the what-the-hell-is-going-on of the thread fall was a great combination. I seriously suggest folks read this book first, then move on to full sized dragons.
A lot of people suggest reading books in chronological order instead of publishing order, but I never will be one of them. I don't wish to take away from the magic you experienced at the formative age of 11 - I can definitely see how Dawn would be eye-opening as a first book. But the gradual reveal over the course of the novels through archaeology, physical anthropology and literary drips-drips is unintendedly masterful - I can think of few sequel/prequel combos that do it better (George Lucas should have taken notes). If you have a younger reader, the Harper Hall books are a great start, and if you have an adult alternating between the young and adult books is perfect.

Heh. Stumbled over this bit of nostalgia while hunting for something else:

fg4_lg.jpg

The board game was an important enough release in 1984 to get a cover-feature review. Different times.

Remove ads