Dragons of Faerun looks sweet

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Shade said:
The designer posted that it is the descendant ("bairn" = "born") of a specific dragon (Kraith?).
According to Dragons of Faerûn:

"Krathbairns are part of the experiments of the Alter of Scales in Unthalass to create an army of draconic servitors. The high priest there has bred these creatures by harvesting the eggs of the brown dragon Slavin'krath'magaal. The dragon agreed to give up her eggs if he would infuse her with fiendish power. It is from this dragon that the krathbairns take thier name (which means "Krath's babies")."

Arnwyn

First Post
Sadly, this book is not "sweet". Anything but.

There aren't many monsters in it, and the new stat block for general monster entries is a royal pain, not to mention error-filled. There aren't even any Advancement lines for the monsters. Pathetic. I've read the book from front to back, and it's one of the poorer books in 2006 much less one of the poorer FR books overall.

(Thankfully, the steel and mercury dragons avoided the dreadful fate of the new stat block, by virtue of requiring the standard dragon age category statistics.)

Gothenem

Explorer
As far as being a Monster book, then I agree with Arnwyn. The book flopped. However, I really enjoyed the book.

If anyone read the "Year of Rogue Dragons" trilogy, and wondered when those books were taking place, what happed to all the other dragons on Faerûn, this book answers that. In addition, the book gives several stats for dragons, and explains what is happening with the Cult of the Dragon and the Church of Tiamat.

It explains how the Dragonfall war (introduced in the MMIV) works on Faerûn.

In general, it is a "fluff" book, not a "crunch" book. The mini-adventures are neat, but I personally could have done without them.

Oh, and there are only 2 Spawns of Tiamat in the book, so we don't get whacked with a half a book of them this time. (Yes I am still bitter about the MMIV).

The list of dragons in the appendix is really nice for a Forgotten Realms fan.

Remove ads